Fairey Overdrive

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 20:11
ThreadID: 15006 Views:4322 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
A mate of mine used to have a Fairey Overdrive fitted to an older model Landcruiser. I haven't seen one for years, but they were certainly effective for towing, and for general 4WD work as they provided an extra gear in between every gear( and if I remember 2 in reverse). I think that they were an extra box which bolted on behind the normal gearbox. I know that you ended up with three gearshift levers, and needed to use the clutch to operate it. My mate had it in a petrol, but for diesels they would be great. Does anyone know if they can still be obtained, and if so where, and how much roughly. I have an 80 series petrol Landcruiser.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 20:28

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 20:28
Kevin,
I'm pretty certain MARK'S ADAPTORS used to sell the Fairey, check with their website for more details. Don't think they are available any more as most modern gearing tends to be too high rather than too low.
rolande
AnswerID: 69597

Follow Up By: bbuzz - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 20:36

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 20:36
I have a Fairey fitted to my HJ60 (84). It is the cats meow! Not game to tow with it as have been told it may not be strong enough. Ditto for the 5th gear. I am interested in any company supplying, fixing etc as I will no doubt need their services some day.
FollowupID: 330167

Sponsored Links