MT 310 EPIRB

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 23:03
ThreadID: 15014 Views:5319 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone ever replaced the batteries in a MT310 GME EPIRB, if so who did you get it done by and how much did it cost. I am trying to work out if I should get the batteries changed or just get a new one.
I am in Darwin and I would probably need to send it away to get done.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob L - Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 23:18

Sunday, Jul 25, 2004 at 23:18
Peter,
Go to www.gme.net.au and look for contact details. They make the MT310 in Sydney and will replace batteries and test, re certify unit for another 5 years.
Unit is sealed and should not be tampered with.
Cost is approx $150 or say 1/2 the cost of a new one and would work out cheapest if you post it to them yourself as a dealer would need to add on handling costs.

This model becomes obsolete in 2010 when they stop using the vhf frequency but is ok till then . The new replacement which is now available (uhf ?) is much dearer at over $600.

Give them a ring, you will find them very helpfull.

Cheers
Bob L
AnswerID: 69647

Reply By: Peter 2 - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 17:58

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 17:58
Second the previous post, GME are very helpful, I've had my old marine one redone twice now, it is old but still adequate until the frequency changes.
Peter
AnswerID: 69733

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 21:58

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 21:58
According to the blurb in the instruction leaflet the Lithium batteries last for 10 years, but Australian Standards require that they are replaced at half of their service life ie five years. So if has never been used and has not been stored in extreme conditions, it will still work five years after the 'replace battery date'. Being realistic, the chances of being in an incident where its needed and finding that the unit is dead are very small indeed. Sure you could go out and test a hundred units at ten years of age and maybe find one or two not working, but the chances of those units being involved in a real emergency are vanishingly small. You stand a greater risk of being run over and killed taking the unit to the post office to send to GME for the battery replacement. BTW, how can they justify $150 for replacing a battery that probably costs $50 tops?
AnswerID: 69793

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 22:03

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 22:03
I also meant to add that you probably replace the battery yourself, or get the Battery Factory to do it for a whole lot less than $150. Yes you void the warranty, but is that going to really matter? (if the unit fails due to the battery being incorrectlty replaced you are presumably dead meat anyway and unlikely to make a warranty claim)
FollowupID: 330014

Sponsored Links