Lokkas

Submitted: Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 16:12
ThreadID: 15027 Views:1663 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody know the name of a Brisbane store that stocks the Lokka or the Lock-Rite. Thinking this will be the next addition for the Rodeo. Have emailed the Adelaide 4WD Warehouse but no reply as yet. Would like to actually see one and ask some face to face questions.

Thanks.

Utemad
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 16:21

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 16:21
Auto lockers are not built the same, you will find that the lock right (made for years by powertax in the USA) is of superior quality. They are distributed by TJM, so you should be able to see one at any of the big TJM shops in Brisvegas!
AnswerID: 69720

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 16:24

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 16:24
There was a few people here had issues with 4wd warehouse with warranty on things.. specially interstate people.. One bloke in Tassie with shagged suspension they didnt answer him once!
AnswerID: 69721

Reply By: SteveW - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 17:18

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 17:18
I dont know of a place to get them but i have Lokkas front and rear on my 4runner and arent completely happy with them.. they are very noisy and are not real smooth. I've heard some very bad things about chewed and busted axles from lokkas... if i had the $ i would go lsd and lockrite up front...

steve
AnswerID: 69728

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 21:52

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 21:52
Do some research on the web about these auto unlockers and read the feedback from users on the various forums. Some are happy but there are lots who have issues. If you want to be sure you'll be happy then get an air locker. Yeah I know they cost more but can you afford to pay twice. Are you looking at front, back or both ?

AnswerID: 69791

Follow Up By: Utemad - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 22:26

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 22:26
Mad Dog,

I followed this post up with post: 15029

I have read about the pros and cons of auto lockers but for the price I just had to at least look.

I wanted a front one but it looks as though there is not one to be had.

I already have the ARB toolbox compressor. The one with the pressure switch so I am part way there already. Although I like being able to take it with me in the work F-250s when I take them out.

I am going to price rear lockers of both types now. Would have preferred a front one but I guess that is not going to happen.

Do you have lockers? They are not on your list of goodies.

BTW were you in Brisbane on Friday? I saw a Rodeo the same as yours, right down to the maroon (??Red??) canopy near Roma St in the city.

Utemad
FollowupID: 330025

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 23:10

Monday, Jul 26, 2004 at 23:10
I'm going through a process now deciding if I should update the vehicle or throw some goodies at the present one hence I have been doing some research on lockers, suspension etc. If I decide to upgrade the present ute I'll be putting an air locker on the back and maybe lockrite on the front, that is if the lock rite is available but I probably can't update and have all the goodies at the same time.

When it comes to putting one locker on there doesn't seem to be a right or wrong regarding what end. Some say back others front. The only sure way to to lock both ends :)

No, wasn't me. Haven't been to Brisbane this Century.

FollowupID: 330036

Follow Up By: Utemad - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:13

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 09:13
I wanted to do the front as I have had a play and found that the front has less travel than the rear (with IFS no great surprises here).

The also has the stock LSD which still appears to work to some degree at least after 140k.

I also read on the net somewhere that the front is better due to something like so long as the front are continuing to do some work going up a hill (i.e. not spinning) then the rears are not required to do as much work and therefore they are less likely to spin. This would mean an easier and hopefully more successful ascent.

Utemad
FollowupID: 330060

Reply By: pjd - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 21:20

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 21:20
air lockers are the way to go when you need them turn them on when up the hill turn them off less wear & tear & no noise
if you want a lokka or lock-rite try opposite lock
AnswerID: 69969

Follow Up By: Utemad - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 21:44

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 21:44
I just looked up the Opposite Lock site and yes they do sell Detroit gear. But Rodeo is not on their site but I will ring them tomorrow.

Thanks heaps pjd. Have bought from them before but forgot to check with them about the lockers.

Utemad
FollowupID: 330190

Sponsored Links