GQ starting problem

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:24
ThreadID: 15055 Views:1242 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, My mates got a GQ 2.8 and has problems cold starting. He has had mr Nissan replace looms and plugs and bypass the old set up but with no improvement, set it back to original. I reckon it could be a fuel problem,ie, its leaking back at night and need to be bled at the first start of the day.

Anyone had similar problems and a solution?
Rob

OH, i have a cruiser!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: luigi - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:14

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:14
Robsoff,

I had a similar problem, although my problem only occured when I parked it facing up hill. The fuel would drain back into the tank and of course first thing in the morning it would start for a few seconds and them run out of fuel, needing it to be primed before starting again. My fix after a few visits to the dealer, was to put a one way valve in the fuel line just before to fuel filter.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 69887

Follow Up By: chris-ford - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:47

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:47
Hrm..

This is a RB-28D?

Is this when it's parked on level ground?

Have you checked;

1. Glow-plug operation?
2. Glow-plug heating temps?
3. Fuel pump pressure?

If it's starting and beltching smoke, then it's pretty-much odds-on that the glow plugs aren't functioning. A mates 2.8 was doing the same - the computer died... Grrrr.

Fuel pumps do have a return line on them and are supposed (!) to have a pressure regulator built into them to stop drain-back (both of the lines are below the fuel line too) but it doesn't stop them if the valve nackers-out in them!
FollowupID: 330104

Follow Up By: luigi - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 19:02

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 19:02
Chris-ford,

Its a 1997 2.8 turbo diesel.

Only used to do it if left facing up hill and for a few hours or over night.
The car now starts fine so I guess that maybe the fault may have been in the lift pump on top of the fuel filter.

With regards to the glow plugs they are allworking O.K. but during the cooler months I was having a similar problem with black soot blowing out of the exhaust pipe and rough idle when it first started of a morning. But nissan told me to wait untill you hear a second click after the glow plug light goes out and I must say no more black soot or rough idle. I should say that the second click is very faint and on a very cold morning may take some time.
FollowupID: 330147

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)