Wanted - immobiliser fitter in the ACT

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 13:56
ThreadID: 15057 Views:1432 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

The insurance on my '93 TD cruiser is up for renewal - the company now says it won't cover theft unless an immobiliser is fitted. Can anyone recommend a reliable fitter in the ACT who knows their way around a cruiser diesel?

Thanks in advance

MikeV

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Utemad - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 14:46

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 14:46
Any car audio shop could do it. Petrol/diesel makes no difference. Difference is how the immobiliser has to set itself not one that you have to press a button. That's Qld anyway. Mine auto arms the immobiliser after 30 seconds. You have to press the key fob button to arm/disarm lock/unlock the car.

You can also get ones where you can carry (in your pocket or on your keyring) a transponder so that all you need to do is have the transponder with you for the car to start. This way you don't need to press any buttons to disarm the immobilser (both auto arm after 30 seconds).

The transponder idea is a good idea for vehicles that already have remote central locking. As it is a stand alone unit yet compliments any factory fitted remote stuff.

Mine is an Autowatch unit from South Africa. I am sure they know there car alarms :-)

Well worth it when it means the difference between having your vehicle and not having it.

Utemad
AnswerID: 69883

Follow Up By: MikeV - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:20

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 16:20
Thanks for the advice - I've done the rounds and ended up with a Mongoose immobiliser/alarm - reasonably priced and integrates with turbo timer and central locking. It also has lots of programming options, including disabling in cas it goes wrong - will have to do a training course to use it.

Cheers

MikeV

FollowupID: 331160

Reply By: Member - Karl - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:12

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 15:12
Mike,

I got mine done at Strathfield Car Radios at Fyshwick in Nov last year before I moved to Perth. They did my 80 Series Turbo Diesel and my wife's Nissan Pulsar.

Model fitted was a Cyclops S35 which is both an immboliser and central locking. They did a good job and I have not had any problems. Cost around $150 mark each which included fitting.
AnswerID: 69886

Reply By: ginga - Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 18:26

Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 18:26
Hi Mike
Slightly off topic but relevant .... make sure you know how to disconnect it if it plays up.
Imagine being a long way from anywhere & the immobiliser spits the dummy - it does happen - so know how to over-ride it.

Been there, done that unfortunately

Graeme
AnswerID: 69926

Sponsored Links