Jaycar battery isolators

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 27, 2004 at 22:59
ThreadID: 15076 Views:2803 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Anyone have any experience with the Jaycar battery isolators? If they are ok they are very cheap only $49 each.

Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ian(Qld) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 07:22

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 07:22
Hi Austravel,

Yep, I built one over the course of a few days. Very proud of my work. Tested it. The ground insulation to the outer case underneath the board are pretty flimsy. One test , one flash, never did install it. Ended up buying a Redarc isolator on Ebay and have nver looked back. Highly recommend the latter, built to take the amps involved.
Just my experience.
Regards
Ian
AnswerID: 69995

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 08:31

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 08:31
I have a sure power for sale in the trader section 70amp multi battery $80 postage included if interested.

Baz.
AnswerID: 70002

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 08:36

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 08:36
This might help

look at this

Baz.
FollowupID: 330220

Follow Up By: Member - Nick K (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:06

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:06
Baz,

Just a short note to say thanks for the link. Info very helpfully.

regards

Nick
FollowupID: 330299

Reply By: Utemad - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:54

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:54
I've built 2 and a friend had 1 of the Jaycar DIY ones. Mine worked like a treat for a while but it died. Not sure what killed it but I pulled it apart and both the power transistors were cooked. I replaced them and it worked fine again. Then one day while camping, my ute only just started so I checked the isolator and it wasn't isolating. I pulled it out at home and reinstalled it in the cabin where I could keep an eye on it. It worked occaisionally but never reliable.

My brothers died for some reason we could never find and it was only ever fitted inside the cabin.

My friend went the safe option and installed it inside his Pajero as the isolators are not waterproof but as he discovered neither are Pajeros LOL. Anyway it drowned in a very large mud hole.

My advice is to leave them on the shelf. Mine would have run for a year before giving trouble but I wouldn't touch another one.

Utemad
AnswerID: 70014

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:58

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:58
Yes I've built two of them. Because of the mosfet protection diodes isolation is not complete so be aware that if the main battery should fail and voltage drop then current will flow from the aux to the main. Apart from that they are a good jigger if well constructed.
AnswerID: 70016

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 13:08

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 13:08
I've got one in the surf, it works really well, got a 90amp altantor and a 80amp/h aux deep cycle battery, charges it well. I do have a voltage metre in the truck with a voltage alert at 11.5v as backup in case it ever fails. It's not 100% water proof, but it's mounted pretty high under the bonnet and even after getting water come through the gromits at the top of the firewall (see picture in my rig photo's) it was still dry and clean inside when I opened it to check on the weekend.
However the earthing issue is true, the case is metal and they have these bleep y little insulators, if I was building it again I'd put it in a plastic box and throw the metal one away.
I've only had it in their for about 6 months so I don't know if it's going to fail after 1 year, will see how it goes I spose. Still alot cheaper than some other alternatives...
AnswerID: 70043

Reply By: brownie - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 23:28

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 23:28
Tried one of those, worked for a while, then died. I would not recomend them.
I now have a solenoid doing the job - about the same price and works well.

Brownie
AnswerID: 70150

Reply By: Austravel - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:13

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:13
Thanks for all the info. Just spoke with Silicone Chip who produced the circuit and they are trying to have that unit discontinued due to problems with it. In about 6 months they will have a new one on the market, through Jaycar. Also they are designing a combined isolator and charger that will provided 3 stage boost allowing complete recharging from a vehicle alternator for all types of batteries.

Will have to keep my eye out for that one.
AnswerID: 70187

Reply By: itisi - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 00:47

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 00:47
G'day all

Have had one of those units in my 4by now for around two years but have constructed two units. The first one was from Jaycar's and was OK for around 18 months but got water in it, mainly due to the fact that their unit wasn't supplied with the correct sealed box.

Second unit is a "Tricky Dicky's" one which came with the correct sealed diecast box and so far "touch wood" has performed better than the Jaycar one.

Hopefully if Jaycar do the new model they will supply the correct enclosure for it, after all their motto is "No 1 in kits".

If anyone is after one of those units Dick Smith currently has them out on special at $30 but you had better be quick as their sale ends tomorrow (today).
Kit no K3212

Cheers

Rod
AnswerID: 70357

Sponsored Links