The Rock - Access

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:28
ThreadID: 15080 Views:1844 Replies:9 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Taking the mob out through QLD and across the Simpson to Uluru early September. Are you still able to actually climb the Rock? Did it a lot of years ago but I know things have changed. Last I heard was that is was permitted but frowned upon by the BlackFellas. Curious.

Mike.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:32

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:32
just do it
AnswerID: 70010

Reply By: Davoe - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:34

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:34
Still can be done, but the climb is frequently closed for wind, rain and cultural reasons etc etc so if you get there and it is open then climb and dont think leave it till later as you might miss out. Also dont count on to many photos except from ks away as the rock is surrounded by sighns threatening 10k fines for photographing
AnswerID: 70011

Follow Up By: Bazza - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:43

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:43
Sounds like the same thing happening to a park in Sydney@#!$%&$#!!
Bazza.
FollowupID: 330231

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:12

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:12
I bet they sell postcards of the 'rock'.
Hmmm...... wonder who gets the proceeds?
FollowupID: 330234

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:55

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:55
Davoe,
that's not quite right. There are a couple of special places around the base of the rock where you are requested not to take photos. There is no mention of fines. These areas are very limited, and probably of little photographic interest anyway. You are able to photograph extensively and up close. Have you been there?
FollowupID: 330244

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:05

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:05
yes I have been there and there is certainly mention of fines up to 10k and yes I actually photographed one of the sighns so it is not my imagination. There is actually far more than a couple of these sighns as I lost count but estimated around 10 -15. The areas they covered were mostly interesting rock formations and the only one not covered by a sighn was a sort of wave rock formation. One I photo'd anyway looked like a mouth on the side of the rock
FollowupID: 330246

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:49

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:49
Hi Miker,

we're just back from up there, for the 3 days we were there, the rock was closed on one day due to win, and as mentioned it is often closed due to cultural reasons, two days prior to us arriving a person had a heart attack and died on the rock and the rock was closed for a couple of days. The climb is frowned upon but not disallowed, there are warning signs up and the decision is bascially left up to you. Much of the rock can't be photographed, but there are some areas that can be, and the areas that can't be are clearly marked by signs, you can also buy some information booklets from the cultural centre which explains some of the walks and whether or not photography is allowed...I took photographs where there were no signs saying the area was sacred. Don't forget to go out to Kata Tjuta [the Olgas] beautiful colours out there and there are a couple of walks, the Valley of the Winds being the longest at 7kms return and is considered difficult, I did the first 2 stages and they weren't bad, but too difficult for my kids, who just did the first stage. Also, to visit the Uluru-Kata Tjuta Nat. Park you have to buy a visitor pass which is a 3 day pass and costs $25 per adult.

cheers

Lyn
AnswerID: 70013

Reply By: mid life - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:55

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 09:55
Climbed it last month, but it was closed early in the morning due to wind, and you can take as many photos as you like there are no restrictions.

The only propaganda comes in the form of written literature which is handed out when you buy your park ticket, but hundreds of people still climb the Rock daily regardless.

Cheers
Jeff
AnswerID: 70015

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:23

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:23
you must have gont to a different rock because there are many sighns around the rock preventing photography if you had done the base walk you would have seen them
FollowupID: 330235

Follow Up By: mid life - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:17

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:17
Same rock, drove around it a couple of times took heaps of photos from the viewing areas at sunrise and sunset along with 100's of other people doing the same thing. Climbed it and took photo's from the top along with everyone else as well.
FollowupID: 330238

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:25

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:25
Drove around it? try walking you would have seen the sighns - photography from the top is unrestricted but the majority of formations (and some of them are really cool) around the base are banned from photography there must be at least 10 -15 sighns informing you of this
FollowupID: 330239

Follow Up By: mid life - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:33

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:33
Just as well I didn't walk, I might have been scared off by the signs too.
FollowupID: 330243

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:04

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:04
Come on guys, get your facts right. There are a couple of features where you are requested not to take photos. There are about three signs associated with each of these features. I've walked around it, climbed etc about ten times - the last being on 17 July (climb closed due to high winds). The limitations on photography are minmal and overstating them makes me think the person responsible has an axe to grind. There is no mention of fines. Whoever mentioned that is either delusional or deliberately misleading.
FollowupID: 330245

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:15

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:15
Bob, get your facts right there is at least 3 places where photography is not permitted and I know there was more it was only 3 that stuck in my mind - the hare wallabys pouch,mala puta , the thing that looks like a mouth on the side of the rock and some other rocks I think one was meant to be a slain warrior. And as I mentioned above I actually photographed a sighn threatening fines and I can assure you by the number of sighns I have probably actually understated the restrictions - I mean I havnt even mentioned the nearby centre. No axe to grind except the amount of sighns offended me.
FollowupID: 330247

Follow Up By: Member - Steve M (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 14:39

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 14:39
Bob

I climed the Rock on 13th July and did the base walk the following day. Lots of signs warning of fines if photos taken. I agree with Davoe.

Doesn't appear to be a problem taking photos away from the base or in the designated viewing areas.
FollowupID: 330271

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 16:20

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 16:20
Steve, Davoe
there are definitely no fines for taking photos. Check with the park authority if you don't believe me. The signs at the sites where you are 'requested' not to take photos consist of a camera with a slash through it.
FollowupID: 330635

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:31

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:31
Hi, I did the climb this time last year, in the afternoon about 2.30pm, there was no wind & it was a great day. There is a chain to hang onto going halfway up . The climb seemed reasonably easy & I could see the Olgas quite clearly from the top. Also, I could use my mobile phone here. The top of the rock is undulating , not flat like I expected. Only trouble is doing the walk in the afternoon , puts the Olgas directly into the sun. Not so good for camera shots!

You will see a lot of "pussies" descending the rock by sliding on ther bums.

Don't take any notice of that stuff about not climbing the rock in respect for the traditional owners, after all they are charging you $25 for "what"?. When I was there no one was taking any notice of "don't take any photos", just be discreet.

Sparky
AnswerID: 70017

Reply By: Goran - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:47

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:47
Why bother with the smaller rock. Just do the big one mate. It is called Mt. Augustus. You can photograph all you like and it is more beutifull than Ayers rock
AnswerID: 70032

Follow Up By: brian - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 13:23

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 13:23
Do people still sell their part used pass at a discount to other travellers at I think curtain springs ???
FollowupID: 330259

Reply By: Magnus - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 13:25

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 13:25
Miker,

Strongly suggest you try to fund a joy flight over the Rock and the Olgas. Worth every penny and seeing as it is so far away and costly enopugh to get there, it is a good investment.

Amazing how things change. There were no restrictions at all on anything to do with the Rock before it became popular. Visited several times during 1979 when we lived in the NT. Went to all the places you apparently can't go now espedcially the so called sacred women's places.

Enjoy your trip. Seriously, do take a deep breath and take a joy flight (that is if you still can!)

Cheers

Magnus
AnswerID: 70051

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:17
Mike I was there earlier this month.
In answer to your question, Yes you can still climb the Rock,.
It is an arduous climb, take plenty of water and take it easy and be careful.
Contray to other comments on here about people sliding on there bums etc it should not be taken lightly. But do, do it if you are of reasonable fitness.
Quite a number of people have died climbing the rock by either falling off it or heart attacks, hence I said take it easy.
They do close it if it is raining, High winds, cutural reasons or if the temp is predicted to exceed 36 degrees for the day.

You can photgraph the rock from a number of parking bays/viewing areas around it, but I would suggest you get to these areas early for the sunrise/sunset viewing as they filled up pretty quick when I was there.

I did the drive around the rock a couple of times, I did not walk it.
I do remember seeing signs close to the road saying that photograpy was not Permitted at SOME selected spots around the base for cultural reasons, I don't recall the issue of fines.

Just go and have a good time, and take it as it comes and do the things you can do on the day and be happy with that.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 70081

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:32

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 18:32
Well put John.
FollowupID: 330303

Follow Up By: Cobra - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 11:18

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 11:18
We were there a week ago and walked most of the base. Only saw three places that was signposted as no photography as they were sacred womens places. On the bottom of the sign it warned of fines for taking photographs of these places. Cannot remember the amount but is was in the thousands
FollowupID: 330401

Reply By: Member - Tom (NT) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 19:48

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 19:48
There are only a few area's around the rock that you are asked not to take photo's from. There is talk of fines if you do but I have to say that I have never heard of anyone being fined and you would around here if it had happened. If you are coming out here for gods sake what ever you do try not to drive the lasseter at night. There are a lot of camels migrating at the moment and trust me you do not want to hit one!!. We had another fatal 10ks east of the resort last week.
Tom
AnswerID: 70093

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 22:44

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2004 at 22:44
Hi Tom,
sorry we didn't catch up with you when we were in Yulara. We didn't realise how dangerous the Lasseter is until Al went to a 4wd information night at the Mac Ranges Holiday Park in Alice Springs one of the evenings we stayed there. The chap said it's the most fatal road in the NT, which now having driven it, I can understand why...and we certainly did see a lot of camels out that way....

cheers

Lyn
FollowupID: 330342

Sponsored Links