Gunshot Creek

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1509 Views:2412 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me if Gunshot Creek at the Cape has been closed.I have heard a rumour it has been blocked off and you have to take the bypass track .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: glen - Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00
Brad i do not know if it has or not but it is not far to drive in and have a look to see for yourself. AS for the condition of the creek that really is up to you and your experience.Some people say its it impassable others including myself thought that it was an easy drive . Hope this helps.
Glen
AnswerID: 4936

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00

I spoke to 2 families on the ferry at Daintree tonight who had just come back from the Cape. They said Gunshot was no problem and they were towing a camper trailer and a caravan. They did not do the difficult drop in section but said both the north and south sides of it were fine. Cyprus creek was more difficult. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 4939

Follow Up By: Rodeorider - Thursday, Jul 18, 2002 at 00:00

Brad,
I travelled the Telegraph track all the way to the Jardine 3 weeks ago, Gunshot is definately passable, the talk is a while ago a fella spent 2 days with a pick and shovel and dug out beside the 2nd hardest crossing which gave an easy but very narrow access to the creek, the 2 harder accesses are a boghole at the bottom, knee deep, and when I looked at them, 1 had some blokes blinkers lenses embedded in the mud...so it was easy to decide to leave my winch and blinker lenses alone and take the newer cutout.
The hardest crossing at the moment is probably Palm Creek, which is the 1st one you cross going north, after the turnoff for the Southern by-pass road.
Give the by-pass roads a big miss and just do the Telegraph,, the amount of "tourists" up there are making the by-pass roads very very dusty and corugated, the Northern by-pass was graded 3 weeks ago, so it could be bleep again by now.
Cheapest fuel is actually at the top, Seisa BP, 99 cpl.

Andrew.
FollowupID: 2121

Sponsored Links