OTL - Nolan's Brook Crossing

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 08:32
ThreadID: 15108 Views:3913 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings all

A couple of years ago I was up on Cape York in mid May (plenty of water around then it seemed). Crossed Nolan's Brook on the OTL and was struck by the beauty of the place, as well as the depth of the water. Was heading North - South and had to winch out due to the severe erosion of the 'southern' bank. Anyone else have any experience with this particular crossing?

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madcow - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:11

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:11
We drove across back in 2000. It was a great spot to camp although we did not. I had to recover an 80 series which did not have quite enough momentum and was going down pretty quick as the current washed the sand from under the tyres. His tailights were in the drink in the space of a minute. The log bridge would have been interesting?
AnswerID: 70185

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:41

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:41
Was a pretty spot. Was not a great deal of water when we were there though a Hilux did stop and need to be pulled out. Don't be a wimp - use the bridge like I did ....

Not

Nolans Brook

(Please feel free to insert your own apostrophe in Nolans!)

Aandrew
AnswerID: 70192

Reply By: Discovery - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 13:51

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 13:51
When I was there, the water at Nolan's was up to my mid chest (I'm 6 foot) when I waded across. The southern bank was around a 3 foot not-so-gentle drop after some severe erosion. The ol' Disco had the bow wave over the widscreen wipers, and that's with a 55mm lift. When I saw the bridge, it appeared to be far worse for wear than the photo above - you'd be pretty keen to attempt to walk it, let along drive across! The water under it was crystal clear but seemed to be deeeeep. Reason for my request for comments is that you don't see much written about Nolan's.

Steve
AnswerID: 70206

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 17:50

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 17:50
Beaut spot.We'd been hoping for some deeper water crossings and finally got one here.Did the crossing three times to get some good pictures and video footage.This was the only spot on the OTL that we got water over the bonnet.Didnt camp here either but its on the agenda for next trip.
AnswerID: 70243

Sponsored Links