REPAIRS 2.8td Nissan GU turbo charger

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 18:45
ThreadID: 15126 Views:1867 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,
Thanks for all the advice & ideas sent in.
Well I removed the turbo-charger from the Nissan (swine of a thing to get out) & tried to get parts.
Damage sustained required a replacement of the rotating element.
Went to Garrett- Nil stock in Australia, 4 months from Japan, no other Garrett turbo has the same internals to match.
Similar size Garrett about $1700 new then all the plumbing etc, dyno & tuning.
Nissan have offered me a new one ex-stock for just under $2200 but then $300 for special gaskets which I would have been up for anyhow.
Decided to pay the extra $500, at least it is all new.
Have to keep my legs, arms & everything else crossed & hope the clutch doesn’t chuck it in prematurely as I have heard that cost heaps also.
See you on the road,
Cheers
Donald
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 18:50

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 18:50
Donald,
Sorry to hear about the turbo, did you track down what caused the damage?
Also, if you do happen to have a clutch problem, (mine has 186,000 on it). Track down a Diakin clutch, much cheaper than genuine
Rolande
AnswerID: 70261

Follow Up By: Nino & Kerry (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 19:56

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 19:56
Donald,
I agree with rolande. I replaced my clutch with a Diakin when it went. It cost $320 as opposed to $800+ for the genuine unit and when i got it out the old unit was stamped Diakin one side and Nissan the other anyway!
I replaced mine at home without to much trouble although you will need access to a small press to remove and replace the thrust bearing.
Thanks for the update as to your turbo. It might just save us other 2.8 owners some grief in the future.
cheers Nino
FollowupID: 330481

Sponsored Links