Porta Winch

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 18:49
ThreadID: 15127 Views:2410 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I had a look at these the other day and they looked like the business. Tim put in a post enquiring about them and Truckster said have a look at offroader.com.au for some ordinary reports; I couldn't find any reports on this site.

1. Has anyone had any actual experience with them?

2. Truckster, where is it located on that site?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 20:24

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 20:24
Got a Friend going to test one soon - Watch this space!
AnswerID: 70286

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 21:48

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 21:48
I just cant get my head around the leads required for them, in my business trailing leads across the ground is never a good idea, you might winch over them or short cct, scary indeed
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 70313

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 23:10

Thursday, Jul 29, 2004 at 23:10
just spoke with steve, hes rebuilding the site, but his quote was

... told Colin if you can't say something nice, may as well not say anything
AnswerID: 70343

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 21:14

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 21:14
T,

Please elaborate. Who was saying what nasty things?
FollowupID: 330687

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 07:43

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 07:43
Jimbo, I think he's saying that Mr. Rowlandson didn't think much of the product. I wouldn't take too much notice of what he says or doesn't say though. It just might be the right winch set up for you - I would be going to Brawn4x4 and asking for a demonstration - from side front and rear.
FollowupID: 330719

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 22:48

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 22:48
Why should he not take note of that comment?

If he wants the opinion of someone that has tried one, why wouldn't he take note.

We used one, and found the following (Since Bruce missed my Reasons in his post ;):
The Leads don't get a good enough connection in my opinion. If I owned one, I would put a Large anderson plug on the vehicle to 'plug' the unit in Vs the Alligator style Jumper Lead clamps.

We found the winch was struggling as you couldn 't drive with the winch going (I know all the winch guides say never drive and winch, but in reality this is what people do )

The winch twists and turns on weird angles.. again not something i liked to see.

The unit is damn heavy. And on a steep rutted hill in the slippery mess, its hard enough to carry the Winch Cable, then Tirfor up the hill at times, the porta winch becomes just a tad too heavy.

I guess the portawinch would be idle if:

You plug it in Vs the Clamps
Have a Hitch Receiver on the bullbar.

If you do these things, i think the portawinch would be good. but, at the end of the day , a good warn mounted inthe bullbar and a few snatch blocks, chains tree protectors and shackles, you will be just as good.
FollowupID: 331211

Follow Up By: Member - Moggs - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 23:11

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 23:11
Steve, what I meant was that IMO he would view the product differently to you. You have heaps of experience in mods / more hard core type 4wdriving. He is in a Terracan and I am sure the benchmarks you would set migt not be applicable to his intended use. In addition, I am a strong believer in going and getting your hands on something if you are serious about buying it - go and test it out and meet the people who make it and hen decide. No offence was intended and I apologise if any was taken.

BTW, why would you be carrying the portawinch up a hill. Don't you connect the winch body via straps to the recovery points and then run the cable out up the hill??? Not trying to be smart, just curious as to why you would be lugging it around.
FollowupID: 331213

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 23:18

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 23:18
picture this:

you are driving up a hill. it is muddy.

you can't get up and get stuck. Car is facing up hill. you want to go the extra 15 metres to the top, what do you do?

you get out, and walk down the hill to the back of the car, open the back door and pick up the 5 items which always fall out (as car is on a hill everything rolls to the back of the car !! :)

you then un strap the portawinch and pick it up, and lug it on to the ground behind your car, get your mate to get the other side and then carry it up the hill to the front of the car. This is about 10 metres in total you have to carry it, but it is a pain to do on a steep muddy hill.

when we tested it, we tested it int he mindset of an average joe. We tested it on a Pajero SWB. My opinion was backed up with the 5 others who were there (we demo'd it as part of a 4wd navigation event we ran).

I agree with getting your hands on one to test, as nothing will show you what it is really like.

like i said, with a hitch front and rear and some good plugs wired in, your laughing, but the end of the day, a hand winch might be just as good and as about the same 'hassle' in using it.
FollowupID: 331214

Sponsored Links