GU Series III 3.0TD at it again...

Submitted: Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 15:04
ThreadID: 15149 Views:2188 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I hopped in the work GU 3.0 TD series III with only 32k on the clock to go down and get some pizzas for the guys for lunch. Start her up, the engine light comes on and stays on, the motor rumbles loudly the whole way there and produces heaps of smoke and has NO power. Pick up the pizzas, start her up and is all fine again.
Same problem we were having with this car 10k ago when Nissan had it for over two weeks on three occasions (and outright refused a loan car - because they were too busy and didn't have any) supposdly they replaced the EGR valvue and O2 sensors, so here we go again!

It's just damn dangerous as you never know when it's going to do it, it quite often happens when you stick your boot into it. IE when you take off from a stop sign into traffic, then it decides all of a sudden it doesn't want to go - bloody stupid thing!
Why do these have so many problems, other electronic diesels have been around for years with EGR valves and sensors etc etc, why do these ones playup so bad?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rob1 - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 16:26

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 16:26
Manual or Auto? Are you the only driver?
If it's a "work" car, it may get flogged more than your own vehicle, eg, start up on cold morning, then drive flat out without warming up a little first, service history, etc, type of oil used, where do you buy your diesel from.
Just want know. My 3 litre series 3 is comming up to 80,000 ks and so far it's been brilliant.

Rob
AnswerID: 70435

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 16:29

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 16:29
It's an Auto, there are only two drivers, get's serviced by Nissan by the book, so whatever crappy oil they use, diesel is only BP (as we have a BP card, hence it uses the best diesel avil in WA).
PS it's never towed or been off road.
FollowupID: 330638

Follow Up By: Davoe - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 16:55

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 16:55
just excuses for a vehicle so young. I have driven many work utes which are cold started and flogged mercisly immediately by whoever wantsd to drive them( the underground vehicles were greated by starting them and straight away holding them flat in reverse in low range for 100m then charging of ot 30-40kmh in low 3rd all day and they are fuelled up at the mine they have had problems but not with the motor
FollowupID: 330642

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 17:15

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 17:15
G'day Jeff,

Off subject a little bit, I know.....but have you noticed that BP's diesel has gone a sort of "green" colour? Up til now it's been the same as all the others (sort of cat's piddle colour).
Has it got something to do with being low-sulphur?
FollowupID: 330644

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 17:23

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 17:23
Must admit Roachie I havn't taken much notice. I've been putting shell in the Surf, purley because the Shell down the road from me has just put new fibire glass tanks in and I'm guranteed clean fuel. I have notice the shell stuff has heaps of degertant in it though! Froths up like a bubble bath!??
The patrol does'nt do many k's and with the two tanks it's not very often it get's filled up! LOL.
FollowupID: 330646

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 17:39

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 17:39
Jeff,

I don't know how true it is, but I've read that those mongrel algae spors tend to be more virilant (spelling??) in the diesel when there is a large amount of air present in the tank/s. They reckon the best way to avoid this is to keep your tanks as full as practical.

I use my rig every day and fill the tanks regularly (say once a week). I also use a "De-Bug" unit in the fuel line which is supposed to kill the crap before it reaches the filter.
FollowupID: 330652

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 17:45

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 17:45
Yeah I've always tried to keep to that rule, just for corrsion, if you leave you tank empty all the time the top of the tank can rust (or so I'm led to belive).
The surf is having a holiday at the moment (hence my new rig pic) while my missus still has her company car, it's got a month or two off sitting in the garage to only be brought out on the weekend, but every sunday night when I'm finished with it I fill it back up again so it sits full.
(I spose then you have the problem of the diesel going stale, but I spose standby diesel generators have fuel sitting in their tanks for months if not years without any major dramas). Go figure eh? It's always doing something one way to avoid problems, only to find out it causes some other problem you hand't thought of!
FollowupID: 330653

Follow Up By: rob1 - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:47

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:47
BP diesel, supposedly is ultra low sulphur (here in Sydney), I,ve read on these forums that it is less poluuting to the atmosphere and has less deposits inthe engine; is this right? I filled the tank today for the first time with BP, usually use Mobil or Caltex but thought I'de give the BP a go. As for the oil I always use Nissan Diesel Oil which is 15w-40, CF-4 and change oil & filter every 5,000 ks. It's always interesting to get other peoples thoughts and opinions.
I hope you can get some positive results with the problem on yours Jeff.

Cheers,
Rob
FollowupID: 330774

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 16:32

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 16:32
***SHOCK***
AnswerID: 70437

Reply By: Member - Michael- Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 17:25

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 17:25
Is it BP Green?
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 70446

Reply By: Billy - Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 21:48

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 21:48
Maybe it don't like pizza?

Mine is happy to eat any takeaway I go get....

Seems to me it's broke an. someone should take an interest in loving it not lothing it...

JMO

Bill
AnswerID: 70506

Reply By: Nomad - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 22:20

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 22:20
Jeff

Don't know about the problems with the truck, but amte, you should get a new service centre. I have a 2000 GU11, you know, the one's that always blow up. anyhow, i've only ever had it serviced by the original dealer, even though I bought it 2nd hand from them. They know the complete history of the truck and take great care in servicing and letting me know if they think something extra needs doing. They always remind me if the auto is due for service, if the power steering needs draining and flushing and all those things.

I bought an extended warranty. Cost me about the same as a major 40K service. Gives me an extra 50K and 2 years. Honestly, I have never had a problem with it. Yeh I know it's only done 80K but whilst I don't abuse it, I work it hard on and off road.

And my friend, provided I give them enough notice, like a coulpe of weeks, they always have a courtesy vehicle for me. And that's for as long as it's needed just in case something major goes wrong.

Cheers
AnswerID: 70677

Sponsored Links