Fridge purchase

Submitted: Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 23:38
ThreadID: 15165 Views:15858 Replies:25 FollowUps:35
This Thread has been Archived
I'm currently researching fridges but the opinions of current users must be one of the most valuable resources available. I have formed some opinions myself but won't give them as they will surely attract unwanted comments. I shall simply ask for the opinions and experiences of anyone who wishes to share them. I'm looking for something in the roughly 40-60 litre range. Since I intend using it for at least 20 years, price is not a consideration but quality and reliability. Power consumption is not a great issue as I'll not be stationary for more than one night if I'm camping away from 240volts. I also understand that power consumption can vary greatly according to the many variables in the camping situation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 23:49

Friday, Jul 30, 2004 at 23:49
Aandy,
Only my opinion, but if I was looking for a fridge for 20 years I would be, (and am), saving for an AUTOFRIDGE
Rolande
AnswerID: 70528

Follow Up By: Aandy(WA) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 00:43

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 00:43
Thanks rolande. I have heard good things about them. It appears that the eutectic fluid surrounding them sets them apart from others.
FollowupID: 330717

Follow Up By: rolande- Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 23:16

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 23:16
Aandy,
Check out the website, www.quirks.com.au/autofrdg.htm before listening to the incorrect comments below
Rolande
FollowupID: 331059

Follow Up By: rolande- Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 23:30

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 23:30
To the others, I meant OzyGuy, who seems to want to sell his brand of fridge, rather than provide info only
FollowupID: 331064

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 18:57

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 18:57
rolande,
What I dislike is:
1/ people who post unnessary filth!
2/ People who knowingly lie in their posts.
3/ People who won't post information, when they are asked to confirm statements made in their own posts.

As I said in my first post, when a retailer starts to degrade their opposition, you have to ask yourself why?
If they believe their product is superior, they should be explaining those superior points!

I 'coppied and posted' the information from the Quirks website, if you believe I have stated something not true please post it here for general comment.

As to me wanting-> "to sell his brand of fridge, rather than provide info only" I don't work for Reefer, am not on commission and am not connected in any way, I gain NO benefit from them at all!

If you believe that I am attempting to sell a Reefer fridge, I am sory,
I have only posted common knowledge facts that were 'coppied and posted' direct from various web sites.

After all, the original post was->
"I'm currently researching fridges but the opinions of current users must be one of the most valuable resources available"

I put forward my opinion, and I backed it up with information coppied from various web sites.

FollowupID: 331188

Follow Up By: rolande- Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 16:04

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 16:04
so many words - so little meaning
FollowupID: 331589

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 21:11

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 21:11
I am sory you are unable to see the meaning of my post.

FollowupID: 331621

Reply By: mr diamond - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 00:20

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 00:20
weaco/engel as good as each other now.
weaco just a little cheaper.,.'";:}[
AnswerID: 70533

Follow Up By: Aandy(WA) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 00:41

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 00:41
Thanks mr diamond. Waeco do seem to be quite a good product.
FollowupID: 330716

Reply By: Chris (W.A.) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 01:49

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 01:49
Hi Andy,

Own an Engel 40L, not your size but it is four years old now and is still going. Obviously running times rely on settings, outside temp and the rest.

Friend purchased the large Waeco fridge/freezer type (two compartments). After Gibb trip it had a buckled lid and light would stay on when closed. Lid was not used to sit on either.

I understand that it uses the danfoss? which is a very good compressor.

I like the steel encasing over the plastic. There have been slack times where I've not worried about tying it down and it's done a couple of high flyers and still goes.

Just my biased opinion.

AnswerID: 70536

Follow Up By: Utemad - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:54

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:54
I have the use of a 32 litre Engel from work and I too have neglected to tie it down in the back of my Rodeo. The feet fit nicely in the grooves of the styleside tray and there is a canopy too stop it going too far. I have on more than one occaision sent it flying after hitting an unexpected bump on the beach or bush track.

It's never missed a beat!

Utemad
FollowupID: 330744

Reply By: Large - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 07:25

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 07:25
I've previously used an Indel B fridge that was in a troopy camper conversion. Replaced the compressor at $800. (retail $950) with a danfoss compressor. That one locked up 2 weeks before the warranty ran out. Got new one fitted in Cairns under warranty, 1 trip to the tip and it was stuffed. Lasted 2 months. Fixed the fridge, sold the car and bought and engel. Engel is great and power consumption is low and I can recommend the transit bag as it makes a huge difference. Will never touch anything with a danfoss compressor in it again. Brother in law is a shearer that works all over oz, has a 15+ year old engel that looks like it has been run over by a Mack truck and has spent zilch on it.

Hope you find something that suits your needs. Nothing like warm beer on a trip.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 70539

Follow Up By: Large - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 07:56

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 07:56
OOPS! Should read: Nothing worse than warm beer on a trip.
FollowupID: 330721

Reply By: -OzyGuy- - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 08:49

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 08:49
Aandy,
You say "price is not a consideration but quality and reliability is" then the choice is simple!

There are to many advantages as to why a 'Reefer Premier' Portable fridge is the best on the market:

*Powerful efficient Mitsubishy Rotary Compressor.
*Accurate electronic thermostat with built in memory.
*Automatic resetting overload protection.
*300 watt sine wave inverter with 240 V power outlet.
*Automatic priority to 240V when available.
*Cross fin condenser with fan boost
*Separate freezer compartment in Duel Temperature models
*Robust powder coated galvanized steel cabinet
and
*Highest rated Co-effientcy of any fridge !

When it comes to FOOD SAFETY STANDARDS and THE COLD CHAIN their portable fridge's are the only portables to be endorsed by HACCP.

http://refrigerationresearch.com.au/portable.htm

If you are interested in a less expencive Waeco type fridge then this next site gives you what is essentially the same fridge a few hundred $ less, without any scratches or marks ->
http://refrigerationresearch.com.au/DR%20portables.htm

It all makes for interesting reading and gives you a larger choice.

If you ask anyone with a fridge their own oppinions of their fridge they will tell you their's is the best, let's face it who would buy a fridge that was not the best, UNLESS, the best was out of their price bracket.

When you read some of the previous posts, back in history, the criteria for buying a fridge is "I don't want to spend too mutch money" the result is they end up with a fridge that is in the lower to median end of the price bracket, they can only comment on the fridge they were alowed to buy by the 'other half' or the bank manager!

The old addage "you only get what you (can) pay for" is so true.

It is no secret, I now use a Reefer fridge, I have used EvaKool and Engel and I can speak from the experience gained over the years.

My own attitude to buying a fridge was to hunt around and get the facts on their build quality, cooling specifications and power consumption, pick the best available within my price bracket, then and only then, lastly look around for a price I am happy to pay.

When you talk with a retailer and all he does is 'bag' his opposition then you can be sure he afraid of them, I discovered this again this week when I bought a new chainsaw, they want to talk about how bad their opposition is and not how good they believe their own product is, generally because they are not conciderably better than their opposition.

As to eutectnic fridge's I admit I have never owned one, however I have camped with guy's who have, the idea of having to turn the fridge on and then off again daily was a pain to one family who forgot to turn it back on next morning, the food was not totally ruined but was not cold, I would rather have a fridge that you set and then forget.
AnswerID: 70546

Follow Up By: TheWommy - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:51

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:51
these are a bloody awful fridge that are so heavy you need 3 people to put it into the back of the truck EMPTY
you need a power station to run them
and the cabinet is not well made
now we have a Waeco that runs 3 times longer on the same battery
FollowupID: 330775

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 20:15

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 20:15
TheWommy, is that short for wombat?
you state you need 3 people to put it into the back of the truck EMPTY, you need a power station to run them and the cabinet is not well made, I put it to you that you would have to be a 5oKilo weekling as they are only the same weight as the SS Engel, your bias is showing, the facts are they only draw 2.8 a/h and the cabinet is fully welded stainless steel not tacked together and with white silastic in the seams to avoid loss of temp.

Stick to the facts, or even better still, post any test reports here on the forum to verify any of your statements showing the power consumption, just because you have an agreement with another manufacturer you attempt to 'bag your opposition' either put up or shut up.

As I stated in my post it is people like you, who can only degrade their oppositions products because they know they don't have any written facts to support their own anal arguments.

As for your stupid statement that the company has been bankrupt your statements are as rediculous as you appear to be, get your facts correct, a company dosn't trade after being made bankrupt.

After reading you posts you appear to intimate that you have tested the Reefer fridge, then you would know the power consumption is only 2.8 a/h.

As I stated above, the recognised method of testing the effectivness of refrigeration systems is the 'co-effientcy factor' of the compressor and if you are a fridgy as you claim, then you would be well aware the Highest rated Co-effientcy, of any 12v fridge, is in fact the Reefer, I only repeat that fact here to give you the opportunity to prove me wrong.
FollowupID: 330827

Follow Up By: rolande- Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 23:13

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 23:13
Ozyguy,

HACCP is a system not an organisation, (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points),therefore it is impossible for a fridge to be "HACCP endorsed". HACCP was developed by NASA for the space program.

Autofridge can be run eutectic - for several hours per day at around 15amp hour draw, or continuously at 3.5aH draw, so your statement that it isn't "set and forget" is also incorrect

The autofridge website will set you straight on this point

Rolande
FollowupID: 331057

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 07:08

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 07:08
rolande, you state: "Autofridge can be run eutectic - for several hours per day at around 15amp hour draw"
Autofridge recomends to run ~5 to 6 hours per day, according to your own numbers that equates to, 5 (hours) x 15 amps per hour = 75 Amps per (24hour) day, using a 100 a/h battery it would be basicly dead next morning as you can only reasonably expect to draw ~80% of the 100 amps.
Are your own numbers wrong, or do you have a very limited knowedge of electronics and/or English?

Quirks Autofridge web site states -> "having INITIALLY pre-chilled the Autofridge, it need only be run on its MAXIUM setting for a total of 5-6 hours per day (preferably 2 hours in the morning and ~3 hours in the afternoon), and during this run-time, the fluid is frozen and the cabinet contents are thoroughly chilled. The Autofridge CAN BE turned OFF in between the run-times, and the eutectic fluid acts as a thermal phase change (cold storage) compound and provides the continuous refrigeration hold-over for NIL power consumption"

Quote-> "As to eutectnic fridge's, the idea of having to turn the fridge on and then off again daily was a pain to one family who forgot to turn it back on next morning, the food was not totally ruined but was not cold, I would rather have a fridge that you set and then forget""so your statement that it isn't "set and forget" is also incorrect,"
rolande, I never stated Autofridge was NOT set and forget, I posted I would rather have a fridge that you DO set and then forget!
I hope you are not offended by your own mistakes :(
FollowupID: 331069

Follow Up By: Dust Eater - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:09

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:09
Roland

HACCP Australia is a Food Saftey Accreditation program which promotes food saftey in the work place and has endorsment progams for businesses and products, the Army have just introduced HACCP practices in there catering division. If anyone wants more info go to www.haccp.com.au.
FollowupID: 331230

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 13:33

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 13:33
rolande, posted this followup
->"Ozyguy, HACCP is a system not an organisation, (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points),therefore it is impossible for a FRIDGE to be "HACCP endorsed". HACCP was developed by NASA for the space program"

What a fairy story, check out Dusteater's link..

rolande, this thread is getting full of crap information because of idiots like you with motives to hide the facts, there are people reading this thread to get genuine information and all you do is tell them lies,
NASA :) next it may be santa's elves, lol

Stick to FACTS and the TRUTH

Post information you can prove when asked!
at the moment your credability is close to zero
FollowupID: 331258

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 17:10

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 17:10
Ozyguy,
If you bothered to read DustEaters post PROPERLY you will see I am correct "Food Safety Accreditation Program"

FollowupID: 331312

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 21:26

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 21:26
Rolande you posted -> "HACCP is a system not an organisation, (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points),therefore it is impossible for a fridge to be "HACCP endorsed". HACCP was developed by NASA for the space program"

However the truth is as I have posted from their web site below->

HACCP Australia, is a leading PROJECT MANAGEMENT COMPANY
which designs, implements and manages food safety programmes for organizations in the food and food related industries.
HACCP Australia Food Safety Accreditation provides a recognised endorsement of food safety excellence.
This endorsement offers assurance to the industry a product’s suitability for use within a HACCP-based food safety programme.

The company, HACCP Australia, is headquarted in North Sydney, but has operations and personnel Australia wide, furthermore, our technologist are highly trained and experienced 'industry' people with 'floor' knowledge, such experience makes them very aware of the major commercial and operational issues that surround the production process.
HACCP Australia: Services clients Australia-wide with site, product and service specific solutions, offers staff training in all aspects of food safety, manages and monitors food safety programmes post installation using qualified technologists, assesses and endorses the products and services of suppliers to the food industry in terms of food safety excellence.

Rolande, the extracts from the HACCP web site PR0VE beyond any doubt at all, HACCP is an ORGANISATION, not as you have posted a system.
as for your NASA statement :(
Don't be a wombat - please be accurate and honest, as I have stated previously people rely on this forum for factual information!
FollowupID: 331372

Reply By: JR - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:25

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:25
Got to agree with Reefer premium, Ive had a Liemack 40DT for 6 years with no issues. Need a serious wiring loom but it works in ANY conditions. Thick wire essential to overcome high startup current, once going usage drops and it doesnt need to run all the time as others do
Keeps ice in 45 degree heat. Many dont deliver what they promise
Look scientifically at cooling ratings of compressors standard 12V ones arent in the same class
Dont use battery isolator, hook up two bats in parallel, it has cutout inbuilt

Cant recommend it highly enough

JohnR
AnswerID: 70559

Follow Up By: Magnus - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:34

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:34
Crikey,

Money better be no object buying one of those beasties.

Cheers

Magnus
FollowupID: 330740

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:15

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:15
JR, if they are still using 240V compressors then forget about these things. They must have a 12-240 inverter which makes them very inefficient
FollowupID: 330763

Follow Up By: TheWommy - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:53

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:53
Reefer are inefficient and you need a power truck to run the fridge
a 100 amp per hour battery will not last a day
the cabinet is not well made
FollowupID: 330776

Reply By: Utemad - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 11:03

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 11:03
I've never used anything other than an Engel but they have never let me down so I have no reason to go elsewhere. Although I have a friend who complains about his Waeco occaisionally and I don't like the look of all the plastic in it. Telstra had (may still have) Engel fridges that looked quite old and they were still being used without any trouble when I was there.

The Rodeo is currently home to works Engel 80 litre Combi. It is a fantastic fridge and freezer. The freezer will happily sit at -18 deg C on running off my 2nd battery. I only have 2 dislikes with this unit. (1) is the shape of the fridge section, tall and skinny. (2) is the sealant used around the inside edges where the stainless steel sections join together. The sealant simply falls off. I have talked to the guys at ARB and they say that this is common and will do it occaisionally. The first time the fridge section peeled and ARB did it under warranty but then the freezer section did it and we asked if we could do it ourselves and they said OK. Easier and quicker to do it yourself.

Anyone else had this sealant problem on the Stainless model Engels???

Utemad

AnswerID: 70565

Reply By: friar - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 12:02

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 12:02
Hi Andy
Had my trailblazer 8years with no trouble,& I know people that have had
them longer with no problems one person in paticular has his running as a
bait freeser when not travelling, it has run constantly for 8years,also they
sell plenty of them to the army,hope this helps you with you choose.
Friar
AnswerID: 70573

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 12:55

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 12:55
Hi Aandy
We have had a 3 way Chescold which still works for some 25 years with very little going wrong with it in all that time.
The Chescold always performed well and never let us down.
We decided to invest in another larger fridge/freezer for the trips we are planning.
After considering all the was on the market we decided to purchase a 70lt Trailblaza before we left for the Cape.
Apart from them being heavy, the fridge never let us down.
We seperated the bottom from the top with 5 mm perspex hinged in the middle to make it easier to get stuff from the bottom without emptying the whole contents of the fridge.
The perspex broke on the south bypass road so next time we are going to use ply or similar and see how that goes.
Their website is www.norcoast.com.au and everything you wanted to know about them is there.
They supply a lot to the army who in fact picked up a heap of them just before we picked up ours.
They supply them as a vaccine units to third world countries and alike.
Hope this helps.

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
AnswerID: 70576

Follow Up By: Bros - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:12

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:12
Aandy,
A friend of mine has had a 100lt trailblaza for the past 10 years. In this time this fridge has been over some of the roughest countrythat the Cape has to offer (mostly uncovered in the back of a 78 model tojo ute)and has not missed a beat.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 330761

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 21:59

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 21:59
I have a 70 litre Trailblazer and had it for over 10 years and I can only endorse the above comments. Yes they are big and heavy but are most reliable and very efficient on power.
Most companies buy on price but the Army and the WHO(World Health Organisation) buy on performance.
I got around that without any apostrifys
FollowupID: 330854

Reply By: Wombat - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 13:27

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 13:27
Aandy,

A picture paints a thousand words - see my first rig pic for the answer to your question.
AnswerID: 70579

Reply By: Nudenut - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:23

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:23
Aandy...i am fridgie (or is that frigie as refrigeration does not have a D)
any thing with a danfoss compressor would be my first choice
I made a trailbazer (note spelling but looks the same as the qld make)
has been bounced a few times before i made a slide and has'nt missed a beat....well i lie....faulty workmanship allowed it to fail after 2 trips where it was bounced very heavily...excessive pipe movement caused a copper pipe to break but that was reworked to allow for excessive movement.

weaco appear good

engels are good in my opinion...dont fix them myself ...I send to dealer to egt fixed.. I have had one totally replaced with new after 2 goes at being fixed...i also have an engel
AnswerID: 70588

Follow Up By: Magnus - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:27

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:27
Nudenut,

I checked out the Reefer page. Interesting they say their unit is a 240 volt compressor and list that as a big plus over a 12 volt unit.

Also interesting they go for two batteries in parallel with a battery monitoring system to prevent total discharge.

Now that is an approach not advocated by many.

Mind you for the price, they would want to be good.

Think I wil stcik with the old 3 way

Cheers

Magnus

FollowupID: 330771

Follow Up By: TheWommy - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:57

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:57
Magnus you need to take a power truck with you to run the Reefer
Our Waeco goes 3 times longer on the same battery
you need cables as thick as your toe to run Reefer
the company has been bankcrupt before
FollowupID: 330778

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:58

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:58
Aandy, I have an Engel and am happy with it.

I would not buy a Waeco on principle of that way that one throbs and makes the eye peripheral feel awful on the Forum Index page. I can stand the scrolling ads but not that one.

Incidently the jr or the fellow who signed JohnR above is not me....... Hope he can change himself.
AnswerID: 70593

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 15:11

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 15:11
Aandy
I own a 70 litre Trailblaza, have had no probs with it at all.... it is reliable and built tough to last
Trailblaza
AnswerID: 70595

Reply By: mattie - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:24

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:24
hi andy
i may as as well put in my 2 bobs worth as well, i have a bushboy 54ltr that is 11years old it is made of alluminium outside and is stainless inside so there are no gas veins to be punctuered by dropping a frozen piece of meat or knife etc, it is all sealed so you can spill drinks etc and it is easily wiped out. The fridges he builds now i think are 70 ltr and still have the same external dimentions and have inproved the insulation a lot. My fridge possible uses more power than some of these newer frigdes but it is very robust, it bounced around longreach, hugheden, winton roads for 5 years in the back of my hilux not tied down whilst shearing and had not missed a beat until 18months ago, it was cutting in and out way to often so i sent it back to be looked at and the chap pulled out two big hand fulls of dog hair from around the condensor plate and fan. He had it running along side a brand new fridge both turned up to 7 and my fridge was -22 and the new one was -22.5. If anything happened to my fridge i would order another one toomorrow, at the present time it is not in our nissan is cause we are waiting for a fridge slide. Bush-Boy Fridge-Freezers 03 94598913.

Mattie
AnswerID: 70600

Reply By: -OzyGuy- - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 20:55

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 20:55
Magnus
the Reefer unit is a 240 volt Mitsubishi compressor and is a big plus over a 12 volt unit because it utilises a 300 watt sine wave inverter to supply the power, in a 12v engel or danfoss motor, when the battery voltage drops below 12.3v the motor does actually run slower, causing it to run for a longer period of time, that is ineffient and the reason why 12v fridges up north in the heat run longer when camped in the one spot, some run 24/7.

The Mitsubishi rotary compressor gets it's power direct from the inverter and always runs at the same speed, it does not slow down, even in the far north it will still only run around 20 mins per hour.

Reefer go for two batteries in parallel because they have their own adjustable built in battery monitoring system to prevent total discharge, they recomend two Cranking batteries, without a battery isolator etc. and when you buy a reefer you get as part of the fridge the wire required to connect it to your batteries.
There is no extra's to buy as with other brands, as to price they are similar price to the SS Engle in the same capacity

As you say, their idea of using the two cranking batteries approach is not advocated by other brands because the others are restricted because they only use 12v motors, and as I have stated they run slower when the voltage drops of peak.

If you have a question and you want a factual answer, not the biased rubbish of someone who can't prove any his own statements with any verifiable facts, then ask me.
AnswerID: 70659

Follow Up By: TheWommy - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 09:34

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 09:34
OzyGuy you are telling lies no fridge runs slower when the voltage drops
they do not use 12 volt motors
phone up your fridge repair technician and find out for yourself
an inverter is inefficient and you need batteries as thick as your big toe
a 100 amp hour battery on a reefer will not last a day
We owned one and could not get rid of the rubbish fridge quickly enough
300 watts at 230 volts AC is 35 amps at 12 volts so the battery goes flat
why do you think no other fridge making company has used such a stupid faulty and inefficient system
Reefer have been bankrupt before and opened again under a different name
you cannot deny they have been bankrupt
FollowupID: 330893

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 20:09

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 20:09
TheWommy,

Some people who read these posts rely on the information in them to be true and make decisions relevant to what they have read.

So are you realy stupid enought to expect people to believe that a Waeco, EverKool or Engel are not 12 volt ?
you did post-> "they do not use 12 volt motors"

Are you that stupid that you think that a 12v motor runs a compressor at the same revs with less power available, according to your own statement then they would still work off a torch battery, are you for real.
Go and talk to someone who can add 1+2 and get 3, as you can't, this equasion you have posted is not relevant to a Reefer fridge -> "300 watts at 230 volts AC is 35 amps at 12 volts...."

As to using batteries "as thick as your big toe" I have never used an EverReady 'C' size battery to run a fridge, maybe that is why they only last one day for you, lol

In answer as to why other companies don't use an inverter, it is due to the initial cost of the change over in manufacturing, design and having two distinctly different compressor systems, as Danfoss compressor's are less expencive to buy and install, after all it is a proffit that fridge manufacturer's desire and you do get quicker proffit's having a cheaper compressor/motor systems installed, it is that simple!

As to Reefer using the inverter system in their range , if you took the time to look at their web site you would notice that the main product they manufacture is not portable fridges, but commercial refridgeration which also uses the inverter system, because it has to be relied upon to work.

As to your stupid remark of bankrupsy, you are wrong again, and yes I do deny your idiot statement, because you don't know what you are talking about ... do you!
Remember the name... Liemack?
then you can post 'sory OzyGuy, you were right, I was wrong'
but I don't think you are man enough to admit it ... are you!
FollowupID: 331006

Follow Up By: TheWommy - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 09:46

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 09:46
Ozyguy you are completely and totally ignorant about facts and incapable of doing some basic research
waaaaaaaaaaaa you dont even know they do not use 12 volt motors and no they do not run slower as the power drops of
waaaaaaaaaaaa you are that poorly educated you cannot even work out the basics and find out the facts so go and download the Danfoss technical PDF file
you see Danfoss compressors and Engel both use AC motors which are frequency dependant for speed of operation
waaaaaaaaaaa how stupid can you be not to know that
the reefer has 300w 230vAC inverter to run the compressor and that requires 35 amps at 12 volts
waaaaaaaaaaaaa are you that stupid you cannot work out why a Reefer needs such massive cables as big as your big toe or in your case your small willie to power it
why do you think Reefer tell you need 2 massive batteries in parallel to power the fridge because if only takes a couple of amps
waaaaaaaaaaa what a dummy you are
Liemack Reefer just another start up after bankruptcy with a different name
FollowupID: 331086

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 11:37

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 11:37
theWombat why not use OzzieExplorer or Willaim etc Quote-> "Liemack Reefer just another start up after bankruptcy with a different name"
as to your stupid remark of bankrupsy, you are wrong again, and yes I do deny your idiot statement, because you don't know what you are talking about ... do you! then you can post 'sory OzyGuy, you were right, I was wrong'
but I don't think you are man enough to admit it ... are you?
No your'e not man enough, I was right about that also!

-> massive cables as big as your big toe or in your case your small willie<-
don't resort to smut.

When you make a statement please attempt to back it up with facts as you have been asked.

FollowupID: 331109

Follow Up By: Dust Eater - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:41

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:41
Well has Woomy (spelling intentional) got a fridge on his shoulder. He certainly has a problem here. 35 watts at 12 volts equates to 2.92amps, from the depth of Wommy's intellect I doubt if he would understand such a simple equation, a bit like 1 +1=2. With the swing motor (Engel ), Danfoss BD series (WAECO) as the battery current reduces ( Energy frequency) so does the speed of the compressor ( See Danfoss Tech sheet) . I bought a Reefer PR 70ST ( I've also owned other fridges) about 2 years ago just after the new owners took over, and these guys really do know their stuff. I bought this fridge because none of the others would work well in 50C which is not uncommon in the back of the 4X4 on a 30 degree day. I also bought it because of its ability to cool down quickly, it still takes the same amount of energy ( 1 amp to reduce 1 lt of water 1ºC) to cool something down no matter what compressor is used. The Reefer does it much faster. As for power, I bought my fridge to cool things down, not to see how much power I can save. If Woomy owned a Reefer I'll go Hee.As for your comment to OzyGuy about "poorly educated" remember this.
" Its better to have people think your a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." which you, Woomy, have done convincingly.

Lastly I get a lot of great information from this site. It doesn't bother me what fridge people use, but if we can get the right information it helps everyone to make an informed decision.
FollowupID: 331233

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 20:28

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 20:28
Waeco actually runs on 24/12 volt ,,,get your facts straight.
FollowupID: 331615

Follow Up By: Mack - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 17:06

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 17:06
You "Wommy" are a blatant liar. Yes LIAR. Refrigeration Research has NEVER been bankrupt as you qouted. You also indicate that you previously owned a Liemack refrigerator. Is this another lie or just another figment of your imagination and do let us know, do you miss count when you change hands?
Please phone Ref Res and lets talk about that misterious fridge you claim to have owned. Otherwise crawl back under your rock and stop spreading mischeivous lies in this gutless way.
FollowupID: 332059

Follow Up By: -OzyGuy- - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 20:03

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 20:03
TheUndertaker posted this followup -> "Waeco actually runs on 24/12 volt ,,,get your facts straight"

The Facts are these, as Waeco have on their own web site and I post below for your own information:

"Technical data Voltage; 12 ....OR.... 24 Volts"

As we are only talking about 12 Volt 4x4 vehicles, I believe my statement is relevant and also factual!

If we were on a truck forum where they do use 24 Volt systems then you may have a valid point, but we are only interested in battery power used in 12 volt 4x4's, not in 24 volt trucks or at home on 240 volt.

FollowupID: 332090

Reply By: pjd - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 21:45

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 21:45
get a 60 ltr trailblazer! tough alluminium 75mm insulation aussie made. mine is still going strong 8 years & 1 roll over later
AnswerID: 70669

Reply By: muppo - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 21:40

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 21:40
I have had a 70ltr DTV Liemack now for 4 years without any problems! Runs for 3 days on two NZ70 600cc batteries. The only fridge I have seen that holds ice cream in 45 Degress.
The Eutecnic fluid in the Autofridge is great when frozen but if it starts to defrost then it has to totally defrost before it will refreeze solid, and it cant do this when running on 12volts in very hot weather. It's the downside of it's chemical construction.
AnswerID: 70808

Follow Up By: rolande- Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 23:29

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 23:29
muppo,
Just some more info on eutectic fluid, the heat transfer ability of any gas/fluid/solid is in the phase change stage, ie, when going from gas/liquid or solid / liquid, therefore any eutectic fluid that is still solid means the cooling effect is still occurring, when it is liquid, you then freeze it again and the process starts over. It is an old misunderstanding to think that it must be solid to provide cooling. Phase change is about 148 times more effective at providing cooling than a solid/liquid/gas.
Rolande
FollowupID: 331063

Follow Up By: Dust Eater - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:27

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:27
Rolande

Its only efficent when the thermal mass is solid and maintains temperature and the phase change is occuring at a lower temperature than required. However when the phase change takes place, either liquid to ice or ice to liquid, it requires 80 times the energy to make this change than it does to drop or r
FollowupID: 331237

Follow Up By: Dust Eater - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:31

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:31
Rolande

Its only efficent when the thermal mass is solid and maintains temperature and the phase change is occuring at a lower temperature than required. However when the phase change takes place, either liquid to ice or ice to liquid, it requires 80 times the energy to make this change than it does to drop or raise the temperature 1ºC outside of phase change.
FollowupID: 331238

Reply By: MrBitchi - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 08:16

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 08:16
Waeco.......50lt and 60lt models. 60 is taller than the 50.

John
AnswerID: 70834

Reply By: Rod W - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 09:47

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 09:47
Aandy,
I've had a 39lt Autofridge for 7 years. Never missed a beat. When its not out bush keeping the beer cold it’s sitting in the shed keeping the beer cold. I've been running it 24 hours a day every day since I've had it.
It sits in its own specially ventilated and protective plywood box.
AnswerID: 70850

Reply By: JR - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:02

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:02
If a Liemack is using a huge amount of power then its likely your wirng is too small. Being a 240V inverter it requires a big push to get it moving. Once going power use is quite low. Small wires means big voltage drop on startup and can greatly raise power use. This a down side to the 240/12 v system but do it right its no issue.
Yes they are expensive, you get what you pay for.
As for cabinet build I just dont understand, except for equally tough Trailblazer they are by far the strongest and best built. Gal steel then powdercoated, fully welded and SSteel inner, what more do you want???
Liemack have come back as another company, dont really see the problem?
The unit is engineered as a standard commercial fridge unit so can be serviced, repaired by any competant refrigeration person

Swing motorts simply use bulk power and produce very little in hot conditions.

Anyway Im very happy with mine, maintains 0 or below in any conditions, runs from 2 batteries, N70, no worries. around 2 days without running engine. Deep cycles not needed.

JWMR (Not Roly!!!!)

AnswerID: 70937

Reply By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 19:02

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 19:02
Gee I am not into fridges what brand who cares as long as it keeps them cold, but this is best post I have read here it really seems to get everyone " fridged " out & it just keeps on keeping on
But Back to Fridges
In 1981 when I bought Brock Commodore the only fridge that would fit in the boot to go to Bathurst was the largest capacity engel @ the time yellow with cream top, it was $700 wholesale @ Lawrence & Hanson in those days, mates wife got staff discount ,& the smaller size was too tall for boot to shut so we got big one.
Still have today, use it daily out on back porch as grog fridge, it has been everywhere plenty of times & only problem with it has been few dents in lid from when I lent it to truckie mate & his family to go fishing near Broken Hill about 1994 or 1995, his wife was driving, tipped trailer upside down behind Fairlane tinnie boat upside down on top of trailer completely demolished, engel was between top of trailer & boat, dented lid a bit but still goes & still never costs us anything, if we go it goes & it never gets turned above 1 or everything freezes, does not look as smart as many I now see but still goes, next trip with it Gympie muster in back of ute in few weeks.
AnswerID: 71423

Reply By: Skinny- Monday, Aug 23, 2004 at 10:46

Monday, Aug 23, 2004 at 10:46
Seems like opinions are like fridges, everyone has one. Just bought a Waeco 60 ltr six months ago . Too early to tell , will let you know.
AnswerID: 73662

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Mike (WA) - Monday, Aug 23, 2004 at 20:00

Monday, Aug 23, 2004 at 20:00
Still wish you'd asked the question (hahaha). More opinions that Nissan versus Toyota. For what its worth, I have a 60l Waeco as do a couple of others in our club. Just as many have Engel. None of us have had any problems with them. I bought Waeco for the price & the extra 10 litres it holds (by having a separate 240v box) but I always pack well & treat the fridge carefully so the stronger casing wasn't really an issue for me. It is well secured to a fridge slide when in the car.
AnswerID: 73716

Reply By: -OzyGuy- - Wednesday, Aug 25, 2004 at 22:36

Wednesday, Aug 25, 2004 at 22:36
Aandy(WA)

What did you learn from your "fridge purchase" post?
AnswerID: 73985

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 26, 2004 at 13:55

Thursday, Aug 26, 2004 at 13:55
Ouch. A bit of heat in this thread.

We have an Evakool ED90 - Has a danfoss compressor (reliability) and the Evakool reputation from their excellent cool box.

Works great. Sitting down to ice creams in 35 deg heat is a real treat.

I was speaking to an Engel guy who said the compressor was detuned on these to lower power consumption. Their (Engel's) compressor draws much less power but isn't capable of keeping large boxes cool which is why you can't get a 90ltr Engel.

We have a 110Ahr Deep cycle battery on the camper and have run OK for 2 days but that would be its limit. We have a Solar Panel to keep the battery up.

BTW the 90Lt Evakool doesn't have 90Ltrs of usable space because the compressor uses about 15Ltrs.

Gaz
AnswerID: 74072

Sponsored Links