Hummer Import and Conversion

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 13:54
ThreadID: 15170 Views:5962 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking to import a Hummer H2 from the US to go around Oz in. By all accounts it is not possible to import a car as an individual, unless you have owned it for more than 12 months O/S or it is more than 15 years old. Does anyone know who who imports Hummer's and can do the conversion to RHD and get the registration plate.

I've come accross one company Maracoonda in Qld, but price for conversion and registraion plate seems high at ~33k. Prefer one in WA, but any info would be appreciated, particularly by someone who has been through the excercise.

Thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:06

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:06
You need to speak to Peter, I'm sure he'll see this post and get you all sorted out. Oh, he owns one.


AnswerID: 70584

Reply By: Member - Brian (WA) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:27

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 14:27
You could try All Terrain auto brokers they are in Bayswater,perth. Greg sells them
I think they do import them.Hope it helps.
cheers brian
AnswerID: 70590

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:09

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:09
I hope you don't expect to get something as tough as the "real" Hummer, the H2 is built on the Chevy Suburban chassis (I think) and you will need to tow a petrol trailer with you.

Stick to a Landcruiser or Patrol it would serve you much better in the Aussie outback.

Lots of them around in California here but only used to take the kids to school and as a shopping cart.


FollowupID: 330768

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:58

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 16:58
Im with you Bruce, I think its a waste of money.
And as for the conversion being $$ at $30k, with dash, steering complete, etc etc + engineers and crap, I dont think it would be far from the mark.
FollowupID: 330779

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 21:42

Saturday, Jul 31, 2004 at 21:42
Scott if you want a big truck, I dont think the Hummer is a very good choice for oz, Find yourself a s/h Suburban with 6.5 deisel in it or put a chev V8 deisel convertion into a Cruiser or Patrol, or buy a f250 truck with 7.3 in it, I think all of the above would work out a better options.
AnswerID: 70667

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 18:08

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 18:08
The Hummer certainly has a cache that I also find attractive. However, I agree it is an impractical vehicle for driving around Oz (completely). The Ford F250 is an interesting alternative if you want 'road presence'. Even with its 7.3 L diesel and 800Nm torque it is quite economical on the Hwy at 13L/100km. My beef is the piddling looking wheels. It needs a serious rubber infusion to make it look the goods. As for fuel, I saw one in Broome with eight 44 gallon drums in the rear tray (1600L of additional fuel) even though its only rated to carry a tonne. Thats enough to make even a Prado driver weep (they probably do a lot of that anyway). I notice that one of the members of this list has one.
FollowupID: 330973

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 16:22

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 16:22
I reckon it would be a waste of money aswell, big costs and also what would parts availability be like for those. Also being so wide you would have difficulty along some trails which are wide enough for Japanese 4WD's and are rutted to that size wheel base. I am sure if you tried to tackle the Old Telegraph Line at Cape York you would be forced to use the more difficult routes and because of your width you may get stuck. I maybe wrong but it all sounds expensive to me.
After travelling some of the rougher destinations like Cape York and the Kimberley -

I think I might next time hire a 4WD Toyota Troopie camper (Britz Caper etc) and shake it to bits on those roads rather than lessing the use by date of my own vehicle.
AnswerID: 70748

Reply By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 21:45

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 21:45
As has been stated earlier a H2 is basically a Hummer in name only being a different body on a chev tahoe chassis.
They are also only petrol engined and make a proper Humvee/Hummer look like an economy car fuel wise.
There is a mob in Sydney that has converted a H2 already, contact Geoff at Torque Chevrolet on 02 9477 4171 or
I'd agree with previous posts about choice of vehicle for travelling, Tojo's and Patrols are much easier to get bits for, if you must have a big machine either a Suburban or an F250 would be the go.
AnswerID: 70809

Reply By: MrBitchi - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 08:22

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 08:22
If you can wait a few months, Queensland Corrective Services will be auctioning off a few. They are replacing them with modified Rodeo's. The Hummers have been complete lemons.
AnswerID: 70835

Sponsored Links