leaving for katherine in the NT which way to go

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 19:07
ThreadID: 15203 Views:2088 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I will be moving to katherine from sale in vic on the 1 sep the RAAF have given me 15 days for the trip So the question is which way to go sick of the stuart hwy looking for some adventure

By the time I leave the terracan will be equipped with bull bar 2inch lift kit 2 spares tyres a GME TX3200 uhf radio porta brawn winch electric fuel the capacity is 75ltrs get about 16lts per 100kms also taking 60ltrs in jerrycans will be towing a small 6x4 trailer as well happy to camp on the way as well

would like to visit camerons corner and the rock on the way though
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hoyks - Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 22:20

Sunday, Aug 01, 2004 at 22:20
Go via Broken Hill or Menindi. Cutting across from Townsville/Cairns can be a risk if there is some early rain. There is plenty to see in between Vic and Katherine so have a good time.
Have one at the fishing club for me.
AnswerID: 70817

Reply By: MrBitchi - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 08:59

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 08:59
Tim,
Try Broken Hill, Innaminka to Birdsville, Up the Development road to Mt Isa, to Lawn Hill national park, the Gulf, across to NT via Roper bar. All this is fairly easy touring. Roads can get a bit corrugated at the end of the dry so make sure your trailer springs are up to it.
I'd leave the rock and do that from Tindall as a seperate trip as, once you get over there, you're pretty well limited to the Stuart Highway to go north.
John
AnswerID: 70840

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 15:44

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 15:44
Tim,
that little trailer is going to limit you pretty severely. If the RAAF won't include it in your removal at least invest in new bearings. Getting to Cameron Corner with it is going to be awkward. I'd be sticking to the bitumen, and planning a few trips once you're settled in. If you can get rid of the trailer then the sky's the limit.
AnswerID: 70912

Follow Up By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 18:14

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 18:14
while will the trailer make it awkward it wont be carrying much planing on putting new bearings on it as well as new tyres looking at putting some landcruiser rims on it as well is the ground clearance the issue
FollowupID: 331184

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 18:48

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 18:48
goodday tim
depends on how much you have seen already but if it was me with the time would go up to broken hill across to peterborough up to marree maybe up as as far as william ck have alook at the big lake with water back track to marree up to birdsville (not sure when the races are ) across the simpson to dalhousie up to the alice and head north .not sure where you can get a plane ride over lake eyre but you can from william ck
should do it comfortably and no pressure
jmo
steve
AnswerID: 70934

Sponsored Links