Coleman Gas Hot Water Units

Submitted: Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 18:14
ThreadID: 15231 Views:3101 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Further to previous posts a while back regarding these new units and considering my local Rays Outdoors in Preston has a 20% off sale this friday I was wondering if anyone has bought one of these yet and what do they think. Rays brochure has them for $400 (before discount) with a couple of spare canisters, I think the shower attachment is extra.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 20:18

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 20:18
We used one in the US when 4wding there in 2002, and they were excellent, and the price isnt that much more than fitting a shower tot he car,a nd gives you much more flexibility.

The canisters they used were the only way you could buy propane gas to run any camping gear in the US, as they didnt have bottles like we do, and the gas cannisters were $2 US ea while I was there.
AnswerID: 70962

Reply By: Austravel - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 13:29

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 13:29
They are great. A mate sells them out west and while they are plastic I think they should last. The only problem I saw with them is that the shower hose is very short. We used one for the weekend and one cylinder made enough water for showers daily for everyone and demos during the day.
AnswerID: 71056

Reply By: rolande- Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 17:37

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 17:37
Darren,
Ray's now promoting them yet I haven't seen them stock the Primus version which connects to normal LPG cylinder, have you looked at the primus?????
Rolande
AnswerID: 71102

Follow Up By: DARREN - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 18:01

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 18:01
I haven't actually looked at either up close yet and being new products was hoping to get a bit of feedback from others experiences. Both briefly discussed in post 13647.

Have you had experience with either?

Did a google and also stumbled across this:

http://www.zodi.com/traveler.html

Don''t know if you can mail order them from here.
FollowupID: 331327

Follow Up By: rolande- Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 18:35

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 18:35
Darren,
Agree that both look good. Two differences I noticed were that Primus use normal gas, v's specific cylinders with coleman, also coleman uses rechargeable batteries v's cigarette lighter plug, (I think). Have seen Zodi stuff, looks really good, good price however from what others have said, their LPG connections are not approved over here and are different, and so are illegal to use here. I'm still confused on the three options and don't know which way to go either.
Rolande
FollowupID: 331339

Reply By: rolande- Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 17:13

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 17:13
Darren,
Went to Ray's in Geelong yesterday at their 22.5 % off sale. Coleman rep was there with the water heater, he may be in Preston Friday. Info for you
1/ Heater, shower attachment, 4 X cylinders and carry bag for $388, rec. retail on these is $480.
2/ Will pump around 3 - 4 litres per minute
3/ Warm set at 45 Celsius, can go up to 71 Celsius but have to hold the spring loaded knob on this temp, if you let go it goes back to 45 Celsius.
4/ Can recharge battery pump from cigarette lighter
5/ Piezo push button ignition for burner
6/ Will be attachment somewhere down the track to use normal LPG cylinders instead of Coleman

After looking at this and thinking about it, I decided not to purchase for my situation. Fealt that it did not pump enough water for a shower and the 45 Celsius seemed a bit cold for shower temp. They sold 3 sets while I was there so others certainly like them. I will probably go for the underbonnet heat exchanger with a shurflo pump, can adjust shower temp' and will pump up to 8 litres per minute, but can also pump less if short of water.

The other thing he had on the stand was a tent heater for $128. I will purchase one of these when they are released

Hope this helps

rolande
AnswerID: 71411

Follow Up By: Rob/D.Plain - Sunday, Aug 29, 2004 at 21:07

Sunday, Aug 29, 2004 at 21:07
Roland,

I to have seen the Zodi equipment and are impressed by it. I have an information kit due in the mail soon, will check out the fittings then but I recon I should be able to adapt something even if I have to take it to the local plumber/gas fitter. Worth looking into I recon.

Regards Robert
FollowupID: 334364

Sponsored Links