ARB & suspension lifts.

Submitted: Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 18:36
ThreadID: 15232 Views:2829 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Whilst at the caravan and camping and outdoor show yesterday i spotted the ARB display and went to see if i could get a good price on a set of shock for a 4 inch lift on the GQ. Our shocks are too short for you he said, and also said a 4 inch lift was not recommended for any vehicle.Any thoughts???? I thought he was having me on, but not so.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - glenno (QLD) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 18:47

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 18:47
Did my member message work Brew69(SA).
AnswerID: 70933

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:02

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:02
Yes thank you, was just eating tea.
FollowupID: 331189

Reply By: kissyeah - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:03

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:03
I have an OME kit for my Disco. ARB state that they make suspension in light, medium and heavy duty coils and match appropriately with their shocks. They apparently don't make their coils to offer any lift, just improved ride, travel, no sagging when towing etc. Any lift that is gainied is a side benefit to all of the other things, or so they say. I got a 50-60 mm lift which settled down after a few thousand km's to around 25-30 mm. As far as a 4 inch lift goes, if it is done right I don't think it would be a major problem as long as you drove with the extra height in mind. ARB should look at bringing out a hard core line of suspension products. They sell just about everything else!!
AnswerID: 70938

Reply By: mr diamond - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:07

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:07
arb are probly right.
when you go 4 inch you talking a lot more than just coils and shocks.
also needs to be engineered so probly safer for them not to sell the stuff.
AnswerID: 70942

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:44

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:44
To require a 4" lift you must be expecting to take on more than avarage 4wd activity. However asking ARB about this work indicates some lack of awarness and knowledge of the industry .Are you really sure you know why you need a 4" lift and have the ability/experience to go with it.
Regards
Joe
AnswerID: 70954

Reply By: Member - ramp - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 22:16

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 22:16
hi brew,as your only asking about shocks i assume you already have the lift done,so you dont need all the other bits and pieces. have just replaced my ranchos for tough dogs but time will be the test, hpoefully the tough dogs will last longer than 12 months.thats 1 trip to birdsville 1 to the cape and half dozen club weekends. cheers rob
AnswerID: 70985

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 07:55

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 07:55
Hi Brew69

I have a 4inch dobinson lift in mine, we installed it meaning that yes, Mr QLD transport would probably not like it.

However, we installed heavy duty coils, long travel shocks, adjustable panhard rods, and eliptical bushes. The brake lines were long enough at a pinch.

ARB, TJM and your other typical offroad shops will not endorse anything above 2.5inch as it enters a grey area, well more poo coloured actually. Of course, you have the measurement from your bumpstop, but what happens if you put lengthened bumpstops in??

My truck runs better than it ever did, stable as a rock and I know the suspension will always perform when I need it to. You have to evaluate your situation then decide whether running the risk of not being able to get insurance cover, and transport raining on your parade is worth it. I don't have kids (really only a safety issue), my better half loves the look of the lifted beast and my business does debt recovery for a large insurer here in QLD, so I don't really worry too much as they have all the details. I do however wonder when QLD transport will get me.

Leave it to you to mull (or brew) over.

Cheers

Chris.
AnswerID: 71015

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 12:04

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 12:04
1) Why do you need a 4inch lift? You can run 33's easily on a 3inch lift.

2) As Diamond said, theres lots more than 4 springs and shocks in a 4inch lift.

3) ARB LTR shocks will do your 4in lift, $400 a corner. as wll their Nitrochargers.

4) You will be lucky to find insurance for 4in now, I called about 12 companies, some prices were over $1500.

5) You will need engineers to be legal, and people are havign issues finding Engineers to pass them now, due to an accident in NSW with an Engineered vehicle driven by an unlicensed driver, that are suing the engineer for some reason.

6) There are many other shocks you can get for a 4inch lift. EG Tough dog, Rancho, Procomp, Koni etc.

From a mate of mine who works for ARB on the new LTR shocks.

"Straight retail about $400 each!! A few blokes here are running them now... Good for tour guides doing the Canning every 2 months.

IMO normal OME Nitrochargers do the same job for 99% of people. Tested in same conditions, and you can get longer than LTRs (L series)..."

YMMV.
AnswerID: 71047

Reply By: MaD Slavik - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 14:29

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 14:29
Check Dobinson Springs and Shocks. I have just ordered 4in lift kit for my GU.
You can use standard TLC 80 shocks for the front (they are long enough for 4 in lift).

AnswerID: 71511

Sponsored Links