Lake Eyre

Submitted: Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 19:08
ThreadID: 15237 Views:1546 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Damn big area would like to have a quick look on my way back from Birdsville.
Any suggestions much appreciated. Are there any areas you cant acess in winter. I have read old posts but believe up to date info is more usefull. Leaving Sat via Innamincka.
Thanking you once again

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 20:27

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 20:27
I was out there the first week of May.

You can drive out from Marree via Muloorina Station to the Lake. The road is a PAR. The last 15km is very corrugated(Nat Park track). It is only a tip of the iceberg so to speak but will give you a fair impression of the lake.

Good camping at Muloorina Waterhole for a camping fee donation.
AnswerID: 70964

Reply By: CruiserHead - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:13

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:13
for a quick look, I would suggest going to William Creek and taking an overflight with Trevor, if you can afford it. Definitely the best way of getting a "look around".

CH
AnswerID: 71032

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:24

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:24
Matt,
Can't remember exactly where you are going but Willem was right in being able to access the Lake from near Muloorina but it will probably take 2 or three hours to get there, also can be accessed from William creek but is a couple of hours also. You can see Lake Eyre south near Curdimurka on the Oodnadatta track. When you stqand there and look north you never see the end. Most lakes are the same you can only see a few K's to the horizon. The best way to see the lake is by air and that can be done from William creek and Marree.
Have a good trip
AnswerID: 71034

Reply By: duncs - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 18:18

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 18:18
It is worth going out to the lake from as many points as you can. Muloorina and William Creek are both so different. I also hear from those who have been to the lake froma variety of access points that this remains true for every place they go.

Muloorina and William Creek are the only places where access is readily available.

Duncs.
AnswerID: 71117

Sponsored Links