Metung in Vic

Submitted: Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 20:27
ThreadID: 15239 Views:3411 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know if Metung is somewhere worth visiting with the wife and kids?
I stayed there with my family in a log cabin, maybe 30 years ago when I was a kid, and remember it was right on the water and we had a great time. I'm guessing it's changed a little since then but can't find much info on it. I'd actualy like to skip the CT and see if there is anything like the old log cabins still around.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gajm (VIC) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 20:31

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 20:31
Just to clear it up, I meant I couldn't find much info about it on ExplorOz, which is the sort of info i am interested in, peoples experiences etc.
AnswerID: 70965

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 20:56

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 20:56
Go to the mirror, say Aaaaaahhhhhh and you will see it.
AnswerID: 70968

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 21:04

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 21:04
LoL thanks Andrew, good to see all those years of study weren't for nothing, do I owe you $50 too?
FollowupID: 331205

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 21:21

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 21:21
A few years back we did actually hire a cruiser with two other couples and cruised the Gippsland lakes for about five days. Was a sensational time but unfortunately half the Lakes were covered in Blue Green algae and you couldnt really eat any fish or swim or anything in the lakes.

Is a big are on the Lakes and if you have a boat and good weather it would be sensational. Not sure what it is like based on the land.

Cheers.

Andrew
AnswerID: 70971

Reply By: andysgu - Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 22:02

Monday, Aug 02, 2004 at 22:02
Its definatly changed over the past 30 years its mariners resorts and holiday houses you can look up more info on the Gippsland lakes site or the Victorian tourist site links.
My mate spent most of the summer weekends down there on his trailer sailer (note l didnt say yacht where not that yuppy) and there was no sign of the green algi problem hopfully the rain will keep up to make sure and the duck hunters had a good year!!!!
Andysgu
AnswerID: 70982

Reply By: Darryn - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 09:53

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 09:53
Hi Gjam, Metung is nice spot still but is biased to water sports. If you have a boat and the weather is good you will never run out of things to do. Accomodation is cheaper at the moment (relative to the warmer months) and you are not far from plenty of 4WD areas and you are only 2hrs to the snow at Dinner Plain so it would make a good base for exploring. Lakes Entrance is only 20 min away and has all the tourist things to keep the kids happy although the Kinkuna Country fun park has closed. Come and have a look around you will enjoy yourselves.
Regards Darryn
AnswerID: 71027

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 12:19

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 12:19
Hi Gajm, we were in Metung about 12 months ago. We went there planning to have a day there and we ended being there for all of half an hour. It takes you 5 minutes to walk down the street and look at the very few shops there are, played with the pelicans behind the pub, looked at each other and said lets go. There is really nothing to see or do there we found. But other people will have different opinions, you may like it.
Karen
AnswerID: 71050

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Juliana - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 15:56

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 15:56
Hi Gajm,

As Darryn said it is a great place to base yourself. There isn't much to do in Metung itself, but there are heaps of trips out of there you could do. You could also base yourself in Bairnsdale or Lakes Entrance and visit it for 1/2 day - 1 day. Paynesville and across on the ferry to Raymond Island is another great spot to see. The main point of interest for Raymond Is. would be the Koalas in the wild. Like others have said one of the main focus points is the waterways-Lakes. From that area Dargo, Dinner Plain and Omeo are all very accessable and it is possible to do a loop through these places (one of my favorite day trips). Buchan Caves is also another day trip from that area.

Happy travelling,
Juliana
(As an ex-Bairnsdale girl)
AnswerID: 71080

Sponsored Links