Buying 80 Series

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 02:19
ThreadID: 15248 Views:2224 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all, I have been searching the used market for nearly a year for an 80 series turbo diesel and have found one that appeals to me. It is a 91 GXL 4.2 1HD-T, 5 speed with 299,000km. Accessories include ARB bullbar, Warn winch, ARB compressor and front / rear air lockers, Safari snorkel and intercooler, Brush bars and sidesteps, rear wheel carrier, lift kit and a few other things. My question is do I wait and find one with low km, less accessories or is it worth getting this one with all the options. The bloke I am buying off has reciepts for work done including those bloody big end bearings, and service records. He originally wanted $21k for it but I have reduced this to $16k. How long can I expect a well serviced 1HD-T to last (kms). Thanks to those who reply.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 08:03

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 08:03
I have a sahara coming up TD Auto . in the 20 k range .

If the car checks out , 16 k sounds good
AnswerID: 71016

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 08:12

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 08:12
Sounds good for 16k, , and the big end bearing are only around $400-$450 to get done, which makes them worth checking every 150-200,000km, as some on www.lcool.org have replaced the bearings a second time.

As long as a high mile car has a good service record, it should be good for another 299k with minimal upkeep.
AnswerID: 71017

Reply By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 08:53

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 08:53
Sounds like a very good buy, just make sure it all works, and check the diff lock "O" rings that you are not getting blow by when you release the air to dis-engage them.

AnswerID: 71021

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 17:45

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 17:45
Sounds like a well worked over cruiser...for that price, i would be buying it. Have heard of them going for 15 std, and you just rattled off 8-10 k of accessories.
If u get it, have the bigends done again with the timing belt, and again at 400, etc.
You may be lucky and find with the safari intercooler, they did the pump and injecters up...(these old pumps are all starting to leak with low sulphur fuel)
Bad side of things is that it has most probably been used and abused, with the intercooler kit good for towing a bit....i would find out what is on that Sahara Eric is getting, as the value of a Sahara is better, and they drive better on road with speed sensitive steering. The later Sahara autos came with ABS, and autos are a better touring platform, with higher gearing.A sahara has factory lockers aswell as a fridge in the ctr console, recaro type seats/nicer interior, and better headlights.....the list goes on...they have colour coded flares, mirrors, etc.
An auto is better in the bush than a manual in all but going down slippery hills...so i suppose it comes down to what you plan to use it for.....
Andrew
AnswerID: 71105

Reply By: stitch - Thursday, Aug 19, 2004 at 02:27

Thursday, Aug 19, 2004 at 02:27
Thanks to those who repiled, I purchased it and I am more than happy with it. It is much better than the old Pajero needless to say. I have replaced the timing belt ( one tenth of the job than the Pajero) and did an oil and filter change on it. It is in vey good condition considering the mileage and I hope to have many more trouble free K's in it. The only things left to fix is the leaking front diff seal and the leaking windscreen on the passenger side (a common problem, I believe).
AnswerID: 73201

Sponsored Links