80 Series Engine Instruments

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 20, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1525 Views:1591 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1997 80 Series Standard Diesel wagon and I want to fit a tacho. Given the cost of getting a Tacho fitted to a diesel, I am wondering whether it's not a better option to get a GXL instrument cluster out of a wreck and get the other instruments hooked up at the same time. The only problem with this is the Aux fuel tank guage will need a new home. Can I fit an after market guage in another position. I can't fit the GXL type centre roof console as my roof lining is different. Given the amount of wiring looms going nowhere and tied back, it appears they have given me all the GXL wiring looms. Is this the case, or would trying to fit a GXL instrument cluster be bigger than Ben Hur.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek - Saturday, Jul 20, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 20, 2002 at 00:00
Stan. I have a base model 80 series as well and have also looked into this project. Yes, I thought it was a mission too and abandoned the idea. The main problem is that you will need the entire injector pump from a GXL in order to get the tacho sender unit--and they're worth a packet! The standard model's pump has a flat spot on the body but Toyota do not drill and tap it if the pump is going onto an engine that is going into a base model. The auto electrician I use assures me I can fit an electronic after-market tacho for a fraction of the cost and effort. I have fitted a roof consul and installed 2 radios and found no extra wires in the roof and running the radio co-ax' and power wires up the 'A' pillar was very difficult. Conversely, I fitted a GXL stereo and found all the necessary wires tucked back in the dash and the job was a breeze.
Hope this helps you.
Derek.
AnswerID: 4982

Reply By: Member - Ian - Monday, Jul 22, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 22, 2002 at 00:00
Stan ,,,,,,,,I have also gone thru the process of this project and settled for after market tacho which fits neatly on top of the dash against the right hand pillar it is hooked up to the alternator and works fine its been calibrated and i have tested it against others and reads the same,i am more than happy with the way it works ,i cant remember the exact price but it was under $400 ,,,,,, Ian
AnswerID: 5038

Sponsored Links