bundera

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 17:25
ThreadID: 15264 Views:12229 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My son wants to buy a 2.4l petrol bundera,first car,anyone know much about them,will fuel consumption be reasonable?? any help appreciated thankyou.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 17:33

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 17:33
I had an unhappy time with a Bundera. There are some pipes which carry bypass water through the heater system which rusted prematurely on mine and as a result I cooked the motor. The LSD also passed away at a low mileage. Apart from that it was very good off road but needed extended shockies as the coil springs used to drop out when dropping a wheel in to an abyss. In the end I flogged the Bunderand went back 10 years and bought an older LC and got a good run out of it
AnswerID: 71100

Reply By: biscuits - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 18:42

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 18:42
A mate of mine had a bundera - he wasnt a huge fan of it. The vehicle had aftermarket springs and it was horrible offroad - springs were too soft causing it to bottom out every two seconds.

The vehicle also had a 2.4 EFI motor conversion which died on us in the bush (dodgy wiring - eleccie fire!) which was then replaced with the original 2.4 carbie motor - both motors seemed very underpowered for even semi offroad work.

I still prefer my current MK turbo diesel SWB over his bundera - even if my patrol is a harsher with its worn out leaf springs. I'd be looking at the diesel variant of the bundera myself if i wanted one. The diesel torque would make it more usable offroad I would imagine while keeping fuel consumption right down as most diesels do.

Cheers,
Dave.
AnswerID: 71121

Reply By: lazylcd - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 19:39

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 19:39
if your son is interested in a bundera, he may also like to lok at the bj 70, 73 landcrusier, in swb and mwb, shares all front panels with a 70 and 75 series troopy and ute, parts would have to be easier to come across than imported bundera parts ( im guessing) i know they came with a 3.4 l diesel, not to sure about petrols, when i had mine the little beast was indestructable :o) also, a 4.2 litre would fit quiet snuggly under the bonnet,

Lazy
AnswerID: 71128

Follow Up By: ross - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 21:14

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 21:14
The Bundeera shares a lot of major parts with hilux and 4runners/surfs ect and in Japan was the 1st Prado.
I agree with Lazy ,you could get a BJ73 for not much more than a RJ/LJ70 and your son would have a very solid,competant vehicle capable of longer trips.The BJ73 perorms well with an aftermarket turbo.
The Nissan Patrols are a bargain and should be considered and again he would have a much more capable vehicle.
A Hilux would also be a good option.
FollowupID: 331368

Reply By: Member - Allan - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 00:22

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 00:22
Brian, I'll go against the grain here. My son has had a Bundera for around 5 years and it is a comfortable car around town and still OK for taking the girlfriend camping in the bush. It's not designed for serious 4WD'ing but still a fun wagon. It has all hilux running gear and the engines can also be picked up from an old Toyata Corona. Really depends what he wants it for. I was just glad that it had chassis rails and could not do 170km/h like the rice burners most kids are driving now.
AnswerID: 71183

Follow Up By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:08

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:08
Brian,

I agree with Allan.

I owned a TD Bundera for 3 years which was my first vehicle.

Would not buy a petrol, worth nothing and you don't get coils. I had bilsteins and 3inch coils in the bundy, 2 inch body lift and 33 inch bfg's. Put a lockrite in the front and it went everywhere.

Did a trip up to Bathurst Bay, and several other trips with other (Patrols, cruiser and rodeo) and I had the best economy of all of them. Late in my ownership I put an intercooler on it from a Pajero. Boosted it a little and it was as quick as my mates shorty turbo Patrol GQ. The 2LT motor is bullet proof as long as maintained and the gearbox is a dyna box from a few years back. Parts from Hiace Van, Hilux and Four Runner.

I'd love another one, but the Patrols have me lured. If it was me, I'd be happy with another as my first car!

Cheers

Chris.
FollowupID: 331475

Reply By: Patroleum - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 20:19

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 20:19
I have to agree with the last posts,

I had a 2.4 petrol Bundera (With Coil Springs - ALL Bunderas have coils. Only SWB basic versions do not and they ARE NOT Bunderas), and it was great. Reasonable off road and fairly tough, parts are easy to obtain, they are very comfortable for the era,handle well and cruise exceptionally well on the highway. They have moderate performance and my vehicle averaged 15l/100km combination town/h-way. Updated to an 80 series and sometimes wish i still had the Bundy.

2 Things to be aware of. Firstly, rear diffs can be a little weak for agressive off road use, second, these are prone to rust in the roof and gutter rails - have a good look.

Enjoy

Greg
AnswerID: 71430

Sponsored Links