handheld versus in car UHF radio

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 22:53
ThreadID: 15274 Views:9639 Replies:10 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
As I am unable to get my bull bar in time for my trip to Katherine I now am looking at my options as what to do about a UHF radio GME make a handheld TX6200 price of $398 which has 5watts output power would I need a external antenna for this unit for my trip on the Stzrelecki Track/Oodnadatta If I do need a external antenna where would I mount it now I have no bull bar.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:01

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:01
DON'T use magnet base, dust will get under & ruin your paint, you can get cranked mounts that mount under your bonnet, or if you have gutters, you can get gutter mounts. If you go to GME website you can see all mounts there.
AnswerID: 71163

Reply By: AndrewX - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:05

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:05
An external antenna will always give better performance than one inside the car. Why not get a magnetic mount and put it in the middle of your roof (or anywhere else if that's not an option). I have one and a cigarette lighter power cord in case I want to take my radio in a vehicle other than mine. You could also consider a bonnet mounting bracket and leave enough spare coax to allow it to reach the bull bar when installed. I wouldn't get the hand held unit purely because of the antenna difficulty but only if you want a hand held. Hope this helps!
AnswerID: 71165

Follow Up By: AndrewX - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:08

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:08
Good advice re dust from Shaker. I've only used my magnet base for short trips and it wasn't an issue. Go for a bonnet or gutter mount and just leave enough spare cable to reinstall on bar!
FollowupID: 331381

Reply By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:20

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:20
could I mount the antenna to my roof racks if so where do I run the cable to get it into the car if I mount the antenna under the bonnet how far towards the front of the car do I place it also do I keep it away from the car antenna
AnswerID: 71170

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:26

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:26
I have the same GME handheld and have asked a similar question before. I was told that the antenna cable would just fit through the door seals, but I haven't tried that yet. So I'm awaiting further responses with the same interest as you.
However, the main reason for this "follow-up" is to celebrate my new membership, and test out the rig picture :-)
FollowupID: 331383

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:41

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:41
Tim,

Just had a UHF mounted in the Prado. The unit is in the centre console bin and the antenna is on the roof rack. The lead from the antenna goes along the roof channel, down the side of the windscreen (selasticed) and down in front of the firewall. From there thru the dash and under the console to the radio. This is a permenent set up and I have a 800mm 6db antenna for open flat country and a 6" flexible rubber job for scrub work so it does not get wiped off by low branches.

For my money the better range you get from a high mounting point is worth the risk of hitting a low branch. Horses for Courses!

Mungo,

Welcome to the ranks buddy!

Cheers
Steven
FollowupID: 331388

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:26

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:26
Tim don't buy a hand held unless you absolutely have to.
They have a bad habit of falling down around your feet just when you don't want them to, real rough track and your in a tangle.
Our 4wd club does not allow them due to this reason to high risk of accidents.

Buy a good GME and fix it in properly.
Also stops you from leaving it somewhere or the kids losing it on you.
Also most are 5 watts hand held is normally lower.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 71172

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:28

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:28
The handheld unit in question is 5w, and there's a car kit available to mount it properly.
FollowupID: 331384

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:51

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:51
Sorry Mungo did not read the 5 w description properly.
Yeah if he can mount it in the car kit might just do the job

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 331391

Follow Up By: Member - Robb (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 14:45

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 14:45
Your 4wd club has banned hand-helds? Which club is it?
FollowupID: 331472

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:04

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:04
Robb
I am in the Toyota Landcrusier Club Vic.
All club members must have a fixed installation UHF radio in the vehicle before they can undertake driver awareness or any club trip / activity.

As stated above by experience they have become aware on a first hand situation of the realities of drivers using a hand held in a moving 4wd.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 331474

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 00:32

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 00:32
John, a big part of the problem is the batteries go flat and then you can't communicate ( thats on the cheapies) the GME 6200 would run of the 12 volt car battery, & with the right aerial should be not much different to a fixed unit.

Tim, I have the GME 3400 remote head a tad dearer than a 3200 & about the same as the hand held, mount the unit under the dash or somewhere out the way,mine is under the the center console cover and still hear OK, the small head just velcro some where convenient.

Cheers
FollowupID: 331534

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:33

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:33
One point we seem to have missed is .... if you are going to fit an antenna, albiet temporary, for your proposed handheld, why not just install inbuilt radio & connect it to your temporary antenna location?
AnswerID: 71176

Follow Up By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 00:04

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 00:04
my main question is do I need a external antena with this handheld or would the one the hand held give me enough coverage on the 2 tracks looking at this for an emergency item only at this stage also there is no where in the terracan to mount a radio without doing some cutting of the dash SWMO will not allow this to happen
This beign the case I see in the trader someone selling a SAT phone for $450 would this be a better option for me
FollowupID: 331393

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 00:15

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 00:15
I don't think you would reach far with the handheld UHF, external antenna or not. They are not the best thing for contacting help.

If travelling alone the you would be better off with Sat phone for help calls. That said, on those tracks there would probably be enough traffic going by that help would arrive fairly quick anyway.

A handheld is always a useful item in the glovebox long term. Good if you are with a group and you go for a short walk away from the car or if you are guiding someone thru an obstacle on foot. I got a two watt hand held to start with which was good for convoy work and now that I have a proper in vehicle set the hand held is in the the glovebox where it may come in handy as explained above.

In an emergency then stand on the roof and let rip with a 5w hand held and it will probably go nearly as far as a full set anyway! If you can afford to buy and run the Sat phone as well then you are laughing.

Steven
FollowupID: 331395

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:22

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:22
If you buy GME TX3400 remote head UHF, you can mount the head anywhere, friend of mine has had one mounted in his GU Patrol with double-sided tape for 2 years.
FollowupID: 331425

Reply By: Member - Tim D (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:36

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:36
I know this wont work as marine radio but would I be able to use it in my speed boat as currently I have nothing at all begin a ski boat the hand held would at lest give me some contact to shore does anyone know if you can progam it with the marine freq
AnswerID: 71178

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:50

Tuesday, Aug 03, 2004 at 23:50
be all right on the river to talk to 4by's on shore but no good for marine. they are on 27MHz and UHF is at 477Mh or so. Totally diff ball-game

Steven
FollowupID: 331390

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 11:48

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 11:48
Your talking of spending $400 on a handheld + Mounting kit Plus the external antenna, which yes you would need, as it would be the thing to give you the range..

The antenna is what gives you the range, you can have a 10 w unit with a shonk ariel, and get nowhere, or a 2w unit with a better ariel, and get same or better distance.

Thats a lot of money for a hand held unit. at about $5-600 with all the works.

You can get incar with remote head for about that. Buy the incar one, and go remote head, then as others have said, double sided tape it to the top of the dash, or the center console. One bloke in our club has the remote had sitting IN the cetner console, not bolted up.

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/
Best prices, and $8 overnight delivery to your door.
AnswerID: 71244

Reply By: W from Jerilderie Motors Pty Ltd - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 13:18

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 13:18
I use magnetic base external aerial in middle of roof to small electrophone tx3200 in different car every day with cigarette lighter attatchment charging on 4 post outlet with 3 mobiles in car charging @ same time every day & have no drama.
Re hurting paint I put some race tape/cloth tape on the magnetic base years ago & still there today, I put 3 pieces race tape on roof, sit base over it then tape over the top of base to save high loads on trucks with wind bothering it.
I jam the uhf & 4outlet charger between passenger seat & console in all sorts vehicles & the ONLY drama I ever get is with the aerial in my briefcase on way home some days after a delivery @ airport security they think I am going to stab somebody on plane with aerial, sometimes it gets through & I have briefcase on plane @ other times @ home end I have to wait for briefcase in luggage hold, but it works fine everywhere & helps me stay awake all night on those trips listening to the truckies laughs etc.
AnswerID: 71258

Reply By: Utemad - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 16:13

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 16:13
I would buy whatever set up you would have if you had your bullbar and mount the radio as you would anyway as that part is permanent with or without your bar. The antenna I would put on your roof rack. We used to just route the antenna cable under the door rubber on our old work VT commodores with roof rack antennas. They were there for years without an issue.

The roof is probably the best place for reception anyway. I have seen twin antenna setups where the antenna is placed on the bullbar for around town and then screwed to the roofrack mount when going on outback trips.

Wherever it is you put the antenna you will need to completely remove the antenna and cable anyway so as to get the bracket off the cable and then refit the antenna to the bullbar. Some antennas you cannot get at the cable on the mount end easily or at all. I would prefer not to play with the outside end of the cable anyway as the less you touch it the better the connection should be. Due to contaminants or whatever.

Although if you don't mind playing with the antenna end of the cable then I'd put it on the guard with some extra cable.

Utemad
AnswerID: 71285

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 21:46

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 21:46
Tim. The radio in question has more than enough range for the trip you are doing.
You will have plenty of power to talk to other road users without dropping out for at least 5 KM. By standing on the car roof we've spoken 12 KM with a 5 W handheld on flat open ground so in an emergency your coverage is acceptable & would probably get you into one of several UHF repeaters on those tracks.
An external antena will always be better & a good spot I use is mounted behind the snorkell air intake. It needs to be a small flexable ground independent type but it's up high & will never get broken off. Cheers Craig..................
AnswerID: 71335

Sponsored Links