More News from David in the Variety Club Event

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 02:17
ThreadID: 15278 Views:1894 Replies:1 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
So - finally the SatTracking of the Variety Club event is working properly now (apparently the SatTrak24 people's server was moved on the weekend and they didn't realise there was a glitch). As you can now see, David is now all the way up in Port Hedland.

David is doing the "networking" thing with the PostCards film crew (of course!) who are filming the whole event and I hear his fine tally is up to about $45 so far - apparently he and my Dad are not handing in their completed questionaire sheet each day (both of them are probably too busy looking at their computer screens to do questionaires)...and I hear there is lots of Penfolds 405 being drunk (sounds a bit rich for a bush trip doesn't it, but that's Variety for you). They have a band that plays each night, lots of theme nights and have gone on tracks I can't even find on our maps... unfortunately however, to find a place to camp all 40 cars means that in Rudall River NP, the most remote national park in the country, they had to roll out their swags on the airstrip!?#%&*

Anyway, the orange dots are the positions recorded by the Satellite transceiver - click on the map to launch the dynamic mode (ie you can then draw boxes to zoom in/out etc to see more detail). Updates occur at 10am, 12noon, 2pm and 4pm (or thereabouts). Would be better if the oranges dots were joined together to form a snail trail I guess. Works for me, I can still see that he's where he's meant to be and not on holiday in Bali!

Oh, by the way, he uploaded a new version of a page to the site from his mobile phone in Port Hedland today - incredible what can be done.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:13

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:13
Thanks Michelle. I've been keeping track of David's progress ... and am as jealous as all "get out".

I agree a "snail trail" would enhance the system and so would more prompt updating. I checked in at 4:30 yesterday (EST) to find only the 10:00 am position showing. :(

Also, more detail in the map when you zoom in to the max (map = 4 km or so) instead of just a sqiggly line for the road and another for the creek/river, if there is one, would be good.

All said and done, though, it shows the system does have merit. Now, if they'd just bring the pricing down to something affordable ...
AnswerID: 71221

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:51

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:51
Quick question Rohan..

Lookin on the Pathy site, you were chasin up a bullbar.. Did you get one?

I'm in the same boat, any hints or tips where to look, there were a few on ebay while back, but not much cheaper than new.

Also ended up going for Pirelli Scorpion tires on wifes Pathy. they seemed more agressive than the OPATs and others. Shall see how they go!
FollowupID: 331430

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 19:46

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 19:46
Yep. Going for a secondhand Sahara bar.

I may be able to source a new "Nissan" alloy bar for around $875 plus shipping if you are interested.
FollowupID: 331511

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 21:39

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 21:39
Bugger, I thought that the Nissan alloy bars sold by southern4x4 down here on Ebay at $600 was expensive (paid $400 for my GQ ARB Deluxe winch bar) :(

Will keep lookin and saving... Thanks for the thought though.
FollowupID: 331627

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:01

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:01
$600 would have been a steal. Nissan want $1,216 to supply and fit (fitting is about $200 of that). The $875 is just a smidgeon about cost-price, or so I'm told.
FollowupID: 331647

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:45

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:45
I would have thought $1200 from Nissan would be bar not fitting L0L...

I was just hopin for one about same as I paid for mine LOL.. theres that virtual planet I live on again :'(

whats the ARB Bar worth then?
FollowupID: 331652

Follow Up By: Member - Rohan K - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 12:51

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 12:51
LOL

ARB make only the one bar to fit the Pathy - the Sahara bar. It's the only steel bar available for the Pathy and the only winch compatible bar.

You can have it with/without the fog lights and with/without colour matching (powdercoated to match your vehicle's paint work). In standard form, it comes in a dark steel-grey colour.

The grey bar without fogs supplied is $1,366 (plus $87 fitting).
The fogs (and looms) supplied are $360 (plus $133 fitting).
Colour matching is $220.
So, a colour matched bar with fogs and fitted will be around $2,166.00 - give or take ...

I've managed to find a second hand one that will cost me around $1,550 all up after I have it colour matched and fitted.
FollowupID: 331667

Sponsored Links