cruiser oils

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 12:34
ThreadID: 15291 Views:2085 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all forumites, Can those of you who have tried Synforces oils, eg cruiser and g/box oils, please give me(us) some feedback/results as I have not noticed any on the forum. Increases in performance and economy in particular would be appreciated. Thanking you all in advance. Bob H
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CruiserHead - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 13:06

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 13:06
been reading the 4wd monthy test, eh?
AnswerID: 71256

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 13:06

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 13:06
G'day Bob,
I was one of the first on here to bring up the subject of Cruiser Oils and I tried both the engine oil (2 separate fills) and the gear box oil, (which they kindly "donated" in an effort to promote the product).
I was totally honest in the responses I posted.....
The engine oil did seem (it's all perception, no proof) to give me a bit more grunt down low....not much though.
The gearbox oil's claim to fame was that it would reduce cold-shift baulk......that really did not happen and i noticed virtually no change in the gearbox (other than what one would probably expect when having just changed to new oil).
Hope this helps you....
AnswerID: 71257

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 20:13

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 20:13
G'day Roachie,
Don't want to hi-jack the thread here, but...
re the "cold-shift baulk" problem you mentioned.. I'm now using
*bleeps* Titan Gear 7590 in my g'box.. According to the label, it's a semi-synthetic SAE 75w-90 gear oil, API GL-4 & GL-5 (also MIL-L2105C)...
Since I've been using this oil, my cold-start shifts are as slick as a bees~~ um, well, let's just say that the "baulk" is eliminated...
First intersection, the downshift to 1st may be just a weeny bit stiff, but after that it's fine... Also, that "roll-over" noise that happens when 'box is cold, engine idling, clutch out... That was very noticeable before, now it's barely (if at all) noticeable...
bleeps are online @.. www.bleeps.com.au ...

Catch ya later.. Ed. C.

*disclaimer*.. I have absolutely no affiliation with this company, simply a paying customer, & satisfied user of the product mentioned...
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 331515

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 20:22

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 20:22
Uh-oh,
Looks like I've been "bleeped"... Think the system must have thought the "brand" name was a bit too close to another "bleep" word..
Oh well... Mem-msg. me if ya want more info... Cya
Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 331516

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:02

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:02
Hi,

Could you put that website up here as I get awful cold shift baulk in my 97 Rodeo.

Was going to try the Synforce "all terrain 80" but would like to investigate you all also.

Try puting it up with spaces like this

w w w . o i l c o m p a n y . c o m . a u

Thanks

Utemad
FollowupID: 331554

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 12:13

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 12:13
G'day Utemad,
I'll do it this way....

w w w . f*u*c*h*s . com . a u .. (without the *asterisks*)

(You can see how the Exploroz "swear filter" might see it...)

Not saying that there aren't other oils which would work just as well, but this one works for me...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 331567

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 15:33

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 15:33
Thanks Ed. C.

I phoned a lot of places (including directly to Castrol,bleeps, Synforce and Holden) and ended up buying 'bleeps Titan Gear RX80'.

Reason being is that it is apparently the same as the 7590 but it is a Gl-4 not a GL-4/5. Holden (and Castrol) said that the Rodeo HAS to have a GL-4 so as not to harm the brass fittings inside the gearbox.bleeps reckons the 7590 would be fine but to be sure to use their RX80. They said they are pretty much the same except for the GL rating.

Who knows???

One of the biggest reasons for going withbleeps is that they sell their oil in 5 litre containers not 4 & 1 litre like most other places so works out cheaper for a 4.4 litre fill. (Especially when the places near me don't stock the 1 litre containers ?!?!?!)

Anyway, I can't get the ffffing filler/drain plugs out of the gearbox yet so don't know how it will go yet. Currently it is near impossible to get it back to first or second when cold but great when warm so to improve that would be fantastic.

Thanks for the info

Utemad
FollowupID: 331586

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 15:55

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 15:55
G'day Utemad...
Hope it works for ya...
Let us know how much (if any) difference it makes...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 331588

Reply By: Black Jack - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 14:25

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 14:25
Bob, I have an early model Jackaroo and run Cruiser Oil in the engine. The motor runs quieter and there was improvement in lower end torque. I have found no change to fuel consumption. I changed to Cruiser as the cold weather started so I can't comment on the motor running cooler due to the oil. Next oil change I'll be using Cruiser oil in the gear box (Jackaroos use engine oil in the g'box) hoping it will take out the whine in 5th gear. But I am not holding my breath for that. I was surprised at the improvements I got in the engine, so I have to say it worked for me.
Jack
AnswerID: 71264

Follow Up By: Utemad - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 15:35

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 15:35
I have a 1997 Rodeo that says you can use engine oil in the gearbox (makes for crappy gear changes though). However, when I rang Castrol they said that Holden has changed that since and no longer recommend using engine oil in the gearbox. Most oil company websites say you can though and some don't even recommend anything else.

Utemad
FollowupID: 331587

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 16:58

Friday, Aug 06, 2004 at 16:58
I changed to Cruiser oil years ago simply because it is made right here in Hervey Bay.

Does it make power differences??

dunno, but i'm sure that smaller tyres, taking off roofrack, etc would help too, as would not driving a 16 yo truck with 430 000 kms on it!!
AnswerID: 71526

Reply By: Rossco100series - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 03:20

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 03:20
Hey Bob

My personal opinion of the test of engine oils in 4wd monthly mag was bullocks. As anyone in the dyno industry can tell you dyno testing the same vehicle 1 minute to the next can leed to different results. eg engine temp, air temp / density, friction so on so on. And dyno testing only in a controlled inviorment will show eg fords product engineering in geelong that has purpose built enviro dyno rooms.
Plus there are plenty of oils out there other than what they tested. I have always maintained regular oil and filter change's doesn't matter who's oil it is.
And for cruiser oil there base oil if buying from australian manufactors has either come from caltex or shell they are the only base oil manufactors in australia.
I can go on and on about this subject as I work in the oil industry my employment is the shell refinery in geelong vic and as long as what ever oil you pick as long as it meets manufactors recommendations and is changed at there service dates / or at a reg interval you won't have any problems with the engine assosiated with oil.

Rossco
And remember stop start driving and short driving is the hardest on any oil no matter what brand or type.
AnswerID: 71612

Sponsored Links