Gulf Track from Roper to Burketown

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 13:36
ThreadID: 15295 Views:2148 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip from the Darwin end to Burketown and Lawn Hill in mid September. Can anyone give us advice on the best places to visit ie. for fishing and camping. I hear Lorella Springs isn't all that its cracked up to be.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TD6 - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:24

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:24
Andrea&Dean,

I did this trip last year and the main reason other that sight seeing was the fishing. You're a bit early in the season for the Barra but you'll still have a ball with Jewfish, grunters, Queenies etc. I strongly suggest you put aside a few days to visit Tully inlet and Massacre beach. These are accessed through Wolorgarang Station which is on the Gulf Rd. Get permission from the station when you arrive and wander up. It's very remote but there is fresh water well at the old homestead on the coast. Don't rely on it though as its condition was a bit ordinary last year. If you camp at Tully inlet and you have a boat you can explore up one of the most beautiful rivers you'll ever see. This is chock a block full of fish and Mud Crabs. The area doesn't see a lot of visitors compared to most so the locals i.e.: crocs and dingoes are fearless to us humans. Keep your eyes open.
As for the rest of the trip there are numerous places that are best found by talking to the locals. We found that the majority of the common places i.e. the ones advertised are not as good as they are made out to be. Either over fished, or overcrowded.
King Ash bay is a true fishing village. By that I mean that is all it's got going for it. There is very little shade in most available sites and it's necessary to have a boat to access the right spots. This is worth the effort if you are seriously into fishing.
AnswerID: 71279

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 17:19

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 17:19
Hi TD6

We have recently heard from a guy who had been there that Wolorgarang Station has put a system in place that you must leave a sizeable deposit b4 you go out on their property.
You get the deposit back when you bring your rubbish out with you.
Would like to know if this was in place when you were there or do other people who have been there know if this is correct ?

Cya
Tripp'n
:)
FollowupID: 331494

Follow Up By: TD6 - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 09:29

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 09:29
Tripp'n

When we were there it was $50.00 per vehicle. You got this back when you returned your rubbish to the homestead. Still amazes me though that even with these types of rules etc people still leave rubbish around. We bought out numerous empty drums that were obviously left behind by previous people and burnt a heap of general rubbish just lying around.

FollowupID: 331550

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:03

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:03
HI TD6

Thanks for that.
Just checking on the info as we are intending to go into the region in 2005/6.
He said he had a great time fishing there up on the river they camped at.
He too said the same thing, lot of rubbish still left behind and they too also took more out with them then their own rubbish.

Cya
Tripp'n
FollowupID: 331555

Reply By: Andrea&Dean - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:30

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 15:30
Thanks v much. We shall have a look.
AnswerID: 71280

Reply By: Wheelerdog - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 16:19

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 16:19
East of Roper bar is Limmen river fishing camp is a nice place to stop the night, with good facilities for that area. i usually stay there for three weeks at a time.

The road will be very dry and dusty that time of the year so watch out for stones and bulldust. the rocky outcrops on the side of the road between Nathan River and Cape crawford are impressive.

Spend a few dollars and fly over the lost city at cape crawford. it is an awesome experience. Helicopter can be arranged at the Heartbreak hotel. I can't speak for the other end of the gulf road. but i have done that end a few times.

guys i spoke to at Limmen river weren't impressed by Lorella springs but they was only one party of 5 caravans they stayed at limmen river for a few days and enjoyed it. I haven't been to lorella springs. the sign is fancy.
AnswerID: 71287

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 21:36

Wednesday, Aug 04, 2004 at 21:36
Stay at Adels Grove when you get to Lawn Hill NP.Beautiful spot, the whole area is around Lawn Hill.
AnswerID: 71333

Reply By: Tripp'n Around - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 00:26

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 00:26
Hi Andrea & Dean

If you do stay at Adels Grove, take a canoe trip up the creek there.
It was $7 for the hour in June.
Canoe almost to the end (b4 the island) where the waterlillies on the right are and you'll find a bush lemon tree with lemons on it hopefully, if not stripped bare.
If you miss the tree on the way up you should see it on your left on the way back.
The 2 times we have been there have not disappointed us in the past with a nice little harvest for our trips.
Also, if you have kids...........
We saw from the walkway a small "freshie" near the area between the swimming platform and the swimming beach area as well as there was another larger one futher up along the creek, which we never saw.
Ask at the Kiosk they should have an idea where they are.
Allow 2/3 days for the Gorge and don't forget to go down to Riverleigh to the fossils there if you have time, it's quite interesting.
The road to that was good in June this year, they had just graded it.
Another tip is try and get to the Gorge early, the morning pics as the sun reflects off the gorge walls into the creek are awesome.
If you do the Stack, the walk up and down it is quite steep with loose stones but the view and the circular walk around the top make up for the effort of the climb up and down......trust me.
You can do Wild Dog Dreaming or the Cascades while in the same area.
Later you can take the easy 800m walk (from the start of that walk) around to the falls for a swim.
The walk at the end to get to the falls is a little steep decent but nothing too much really or you can go over the top of the escarpment which is another awesome walk with great views and photo opportunities too.
My tip for this is if you are going to do the big escarpment climb is, pack a lunch/snack, take your time, rest as you need it and swim when you get to the falls and then do the easier 800m walk back.
Remember the climb up from the falls is only steep for a little way.

Cya
Tripp'n
AnswerID: 71353

Reply By: Andrea&Dean - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:49

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 10:49
Thanks TD6 & Tripp'n, we shall endeavour to have a look. Im not sure about the "steep decents" thou. Last year, The Loop at Kalbarri near killed me!
AnswerID: 71379

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 13:43

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 13:43
Hi Andrea & Dean

Please do have a look though, it really is well worth it...and take your time....why rush these things..... :)

Forgot to mention last night that Lawn Hill is now run by the traditional people and there are no hot showers there but you can boil your own, lug it and hoist your bush shower up in the showers there, the wires for them were still there in June.
At that time of the year you may not require a hot shower anyway?
Wood must be collected outside the N.P. as usual.
In June you could not book the canoes it was on a first come first serve basisand they were allowing canoeing to the second gorge this year.
They have water tight containers for hire and the proceeds for that went to the RFDS.......a good cause.

Adel's has a donkey shower which is always hot with camps 6,7,8,9 or 10 being the shadier ones, close to the shower block and the shaded track to the creek walk.

Cya
Tripp'n
FollowupID: 331577

Reply By: Austravel - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 13:21

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 13:21
Hi,

Only returned from that area a few weeks ago. Wolorgrang is nice and they do have a bond it was $100 and $25 per night. I thought it was pretty expensive considering what's there. Don't get me wrong, the beach is nice and both inlets are pretty good, not to sure about the fishing. We didn't do that well and other campers didn't do to well, even in boats. The drama we had was from other camper, they had everything that made noise and decided to camp 5 metres away, generator's, chainsaw, dogs etc. Lorella Springs was $100 bond and $30 per night plus a remote fee of $80 (I think). Very expensive and it looked to be access to a creek/river not the beach. The Leimen River fishing camp, (better than it sounds) was great, $10 a night for a double basic facilities and on a nice stretch of water.
AnswerID: 71392

Follow Up By: Tripp'n Around - Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 13:49

Thursday, Aug 05, 2004 at 13:49
Hi Austravel

Wow!
So much for the stop over we were looking at.
Would like to know what a "remote fee" entails though.....lol
Although, Leimen R sounds alright.
Will look at things more closer to our travel time.
Thanks for that info, much appreciated.

Cya
Tripp'n
FollowupID: 331578

Sponsored Links