80 series Cruiser

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 13:21
ThreadID: 15376 Views:1609 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My 80 Series Cruiser is now 13 years old, never had a major problem with it except for the usual worn parts and consumerables. Now clocked up 440,000 Km but I am reluctant to trade for a new car. This one is set up just the way I like it and you grow attached to your car. The rear diff is starting to develop a whining noise and a reasonable amount of 'slack'. Apart from changing over for a new or 2nd hand diff, is there anything else I can do to elliminate the whining noise and reduce the slack. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: marty 80 - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 18:28

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 18:28
Diff whining is caused by tooth contact pattern being incorrect,probably due to minor bearing wear.The only way to fix is to reset up crownwheel and pinion position. Get your local diff mechanic to reco the whole unit would
be the best way. cheers
AnswerID: 71674

Reply By: Frankenstein - Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 19:07

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 19:07
The differentials in these were notorious for chewing out pinion bearings. If it is these bearings get in early otherwise it may involve the crownwheel and pinion as well - Big $$$.

AnswerID: 71675

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 21:02

Saturday, Aug 07, 2004 at 21:02
Hi George
Wear and tear have caught up with your diff. A nice new set of bearings and seals will see it quiet again, and should cost $250 in parts plus that again in labour. The clutches in the lsd will be worn aswell, giving the sungears slack between their mating teeth...not an essential item, but if we are going to recondition the diff like new, they are probably another $180 off dollars.
If u were going to keep her, i would suggest a nice ARB locker with new bearings throughout whilst there. Would give you an onboard compresser aswell, but now we are talking $1800 all up.
AnswerID: 71683

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:12

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:12
Appreciate the feed back, thanks for all the information. I am OK driving cars but not much on the mechanics apart from the basics.
Looks like I should be able to take it to some specialist mechanics and get them to overhaul the diff.

Can anyone suggest a reliable place to go to, based in Perth Northern suburbs.

Thanks again for all you help

AnswerID: 71728

Follow Up By: Rod W - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:30

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:30
George, you'd be foolish not to go to / use DTS (Diff and Transmission Specilist) in Jolimont.

See ya
FollowupID: 332001

Sponsored Links