Eggs - to fridge or not to fridge ?

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 10:57
ThreadID: 15388 Views:7383 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I'm in dispute with my other half ! We are off next week for a month travelling around Birdsville, Simpson Desert & Dalhousie. Whats the go with eggs, do they need to be stored in the fridge?

Thanks
Phil P
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John C (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 11:20

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 11:20
Phil

In short, eggs should be stored in the fridge. They go off quicker if left out of refrigeration. Up here, the big stores (ie coles, woolies) are starting to store their eggs in the fridge. They said they were ok on shelves as the shops are air conditioned, but egg farmers/egg board/ whoever said they must be stored in fridge.

Cheers
Kym (wife of John C)
AnswerID: 71725

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 15:05

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 15:05
Eggs absorb moisture, and putting them in the fridge makes them suck in more, because the air in the fridge is so moist. Best to store eggs in a cool tempreture stable safe place.

If putting them in the fridge, keep them in the original cardboard container.

We carry an esky in the car, for all fruit/veg/eggs, and carry 2 x 600ml coke bottles with water, swapping them from fridge to esky each day.

vegies and fruit keep up to 2 weeks like this in summer, or our recent Simpson trip.
FollowupID: 331924

Reply By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 11:23

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 11:23
Me aunt had chooks (suburban back yard) and used to coat the excess eggs in Lanoline and store them in a cool dark cupboard for months if need be. Never in the fridge.

We all shared in the bounty and didn/t do me much harm.

We used to test the eggs by floating them in water, those that floated were bad. (Or was that the other way round? (bloody memory probably need upgrading to FSB 400 instead of old EDO )

Regards

AnswerID: 71726

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 13:20

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 13:20
Russell, why'd she coat them in Lanoline?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 331913

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 14:15

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 14:15
Bonz, the lanolin would have made the shells virtually impervious to air and breakdown of the proteins.

Just think though if the chooks had been fed the lanolin they may have been easier to pass, and longer lasting............
FollowupID: 331919

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 19:52

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 19:52
ROFLMAO
FollowupID: 331978

Reply By: navaraman - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:20

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:20
A quick google search recommended storing in the fridge, another site said they keep for 6 months in a dark cupboard. If there's room in the fridge for eggs and beer I'd stick them in the fridge.
AnswerID: 71729

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 13:17

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 13:17
did you check the URL of the googled sites, thrye prolly both Exploroz hahahahaha
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 331912

Reply By: mr diamond - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:21

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:21
we dont fridge them and havnt had a problem just keep them in a cool spot.
AnswerID: 71730

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:49

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 12:49
HI Phil P,
If you're concerned about the breakage of eggs I can vouch for putting the eggs IN the fridge IN their original cardboard carton - I have NEVER (honest truth) had a broken egg over all the tracks we've done (including CSR, Simpson, Gibb River Road etc...). It is best to avoid the box getting wet of course, so packing them at the top of the fridge and keeping them level is the key.

If it's the freshness of the eggs you're concerned about, consider that your vehicle will quickly get upwards of 60 degress plus in just a few minutes parked closed up in the sun. It's suprising what you learn when you have a temp gauge in the car.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 71731

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 13:00

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 13:00
In the short term, it doesn't matter, so long as they're kept cool.. a stable temperature being more important...
I was raised on a farm, & of course, we kept chooks... My (now quite elderly) mother was also a very, very good cook (in every respect), and for sponges, meringues, omelettes etc., she insisted that eggs must NOT be refrigerated...
As I recall, she actually preferred to use eggs that were at least a week old for these uses.. after testing (float method) for bad ones, of course... & always break the egg into a separate container before adding to mix...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 71732

Reply By: Member - Bernard - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 15:06

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 15:06
Try immersing the eggs in "Isinglass" - a form of gelatin used in glue-making.

Before domestic refrigerators became available, and many eggs came from domestically kept hens, people in Europe and Great Britain used Isinglass to preserve excess supplies of eggs for many months. It coats the shell and makes them almost totally impenetrable by air - the great spoiler.

Isinglass has another advantage -- pured into a cooling system still containing some hot/warm coolant - or a system re-filled with water - it will seal small/medium radiator leaks ... and for quite some time. Very handy stuff in an emergency.
AnswerID: 71743

Reply By: Member - Brian (WA) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 16:45

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 16:45
We keep our eggs in the fridge and never had any trouble. We only go bush this
time of year when temps are not high, We keep the vegs in a carboard box
never thought to put the eggs with them, might try it next time. Carrot are the
first thing we find go off with us, have not perfected how to keep them longer yet.
cheers brian
AnswerID: 71751

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 17:54

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 17:54
There is a product available called 'Keepegg', it is a waxy substance in a small jar, basically just rub in over the eggs & they will keep for ages.
AnswerID: 71763

Reply By: duncs - Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 22:07

Sunday, Aug 08, 2004 at 22:07
Well here is my 2c.

We generally carry eggs in the original container. This is placed in the tucker box and carried in the camper. It stays pretty cool in there most of the time, the chocolate rarely melts. We have not had a problem with eggs going off. We used to carry them in the old 3way fridge. On the Cape York trip when it was hot during the day abnd the fridge was struggling to cope we made the mistake of turning the fridge down too far when stopped overnight. Believe me frozen eggs are as bad as off eggs 'cept they make a mess as well. (hope I got the apostrophe{spelling????} right).

Duncs
AnswerID: 71810

Sponsored Links