Insurance for unregistered truck

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 11:02
ThreadID: 153969 Views:122 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
Hi All,
I am looking at getting an unregistered truck in Qld & driving it to Vic to get registered. I will have the correct permits.
I have contacted Club4x4, they will insure it once registered, but not when in transit.
Anyone know of company that will cover it in transit?

Thanks, Kevin
Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 12:02

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 12:02
I am building an OKA motorhome. I have now spent a considerable sum on the vehicle and wanted to insure it, mostly for fire.
I tried very hard to get insurance, including through my broker, and failed because it was not registered.
I have since had it registered as a Historic Vehicle (over 25 years old in SA) and getting insurance is no problem anymore.
In your case is there any reason why you cannot get it registered in either Qld or Vic (whichever is easiest or cheapest) and then cancel or confirm it when you get home?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 649617

Reply By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 12:18

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 12:18
Stick it on the back of a flattop
Who has been here

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 649618

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 13:55

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 13:55
That is how I got the OKA from Vic to SA during covid, but the insurance was still marginal to nil.
Then you still can't insure it when you get it home unless it has been to Regency for a roadworthy. Then when it is registered you are paying big dollars for comprehensive insurance for a vehicle you don't even drive. Sucks.
The limit for auto parts in the shed on your household insurance is $4k, which is peanuts.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
0
FollowupID: 931481

Reply By: Bricky - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 13:13

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 13:13
Don't know how it works in Vic?
I was living in SA and bought a truck in Qld.
Took all the paperwork to Service SA, paid the reg fee and walked out with plates.
Flew up with them and drove the registered and insured truck home.
AnswerID: 649621

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 14:04

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 14:04
Don't know how you managed that because I understood a vehicle from interstate needs a Regency inspection before it can be registered in SA?
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
0
FollowupID: 931482

Follow Up By: Bricky - Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 14:19

Wednesday, Sep 30, 2026 at 14:19
Not sure. Maybe because it was new?
0
FollowupID: 931483

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)