Off-Road Camper Trailer & Cape York

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 22, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 154 Views:3199 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have purchased a heavy duty off-road camper trailer with 7 leaf suspension, to circumnavigate Oz. We will be heading to Cape York at the end of June. Can anyone advise whether it will be OK to do this with the camper trailer? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greg Larkens - Thursday, Mar 22, 2001 at 01:00

Thursday, Mar 22, 2001 at 01:00
Hi Rodd. I went to the Cape a couple of years ago. 3 vehicles took camper trailers and all made it even across the frenchmans track. They were towed through many places but could have unhitched and towed the trailer through on a strap. Several times the road had to be modified for them. I have a trailer but opted not to take it and I think I had a more relaxing drive. Many people seem to take them. One trailer broke a leaf spring and the other a brand new Kimberley camper did a shock absorber. We saw one trailer broken down and one vehicle, a landcruiser with a broken shock absorber. Came across a head on collision on the northern bipass. Caused by hire vehicle speeding. The roads can be very corrugated in fact most of us were experienced off roaders and we all agreed that the battlecamp road into Cooktown was the most corrugated we had ever been on. Hope this is of some help. Regards
AnswerID: 294

Reply By: Sally & Matt - Saturday, Mar 24, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 24, 2001 at 01:00
Hi Rodd
Were heading off round Australia in August 2001 for 14 months.Well be doing the Cape most likely in June 2002 & will be taking our OBriens Off-Road camper trailer. A friend of ours was up there recently & suggested that the roads are not too bad in most spots & are graded regularly.
AnswerID: 300

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2001 at 00:00
Rodd,
I was there last year 2000, we travelled without campers, however we saw lots of them. It all depends on what you intend to do and where you want to go and if you have other cars (company) with you.
We found that some of the places we went to would have been too hard (not impossible) with a trailer. Yet if you have lots of time, take it easy and see how you go....
AnswerID: 310

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2001 at 00:00
Rodd, like most people have advised you, it really depends on where on the Cape you will be heading. The majority of trailer drivers stick to the development track - the upside being it is certainly more passable than the OTL with a trailer in tow, but the downside being there are bad corrugations (which you will avoid on the OTL). Since you are circumnavigating, I assume you have plenty of time but will be relying on your equipment being reliable for the entire trip. Having been in your exact situation a few years back we opted to leave the trailer in Cairns (back of Cairns Coconut CP - $5 a day) and travelled lightly for the 28 days we were on the Cape. Glad we did, as we had the freedom to really explore the Cape, do the harder routes without concern and consquently ENJOYED the trip. I think this is the key. For some travellers, taking the trailer is madatory as they cant physically live without it - if this is the case for you, then consider a compromise... along the OTL there is a bailout to rejoin the development track that misses the worst creeks for towing. Its not far from Eliot Falls.For more details (everything I know) please read our trek notes on this site, plus our personal travelouges Enjoy your big trip! Michelle & David
AnswerID: 311

Reply By: Tony- Friday, Mar 30, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Mar 30, 2001 at 00:00
Rodd, I went up there in July 2000 without a camper. Since then we have purchased one and have towed it through the QLD outback, Central Oz and Lake Eyre region amongst other places. We are going back to the Cape in 2002 and will definitely take the camper.
Ours will handle the Old Telegraph Track, Frenchmans Road and the other tracks. The main thing is make sure the trailer is strong enough. I had mine custom made because none of the ones available seemed to be strong enough from my opion.
Just take it slow and maybe hook up with other travellers for each section. Its like Pitt street (main street in Sydney CBD) up there in the dry! Safety in numbers.
Enjoy the trip, take your time and shell be right.
AnswerID: 315

Reply By: Bill- Tuesday, Apr 17, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2001 at 00:00
Rodd, 3 trailers similar to yours sighted today at shopping centre in Weipa and not at the local repairers, take your time and dont overlaod your trailer. The road into Weipa opened last thursday with the Archer river at .9 of a metre and falling (Crossable at this level but be carefull)
AnswerID: 354

Follow Up By: Rodd - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks alot for your feedback Bill.
Were really looking forward to our trip. Your advice on taking it easy seems to sum up the situation, not only for Cape York but for our whole trip.
Thanks again. Have a great day.
Regards
Rodd
FollowupID: 71

Sponsored Links