WA wildflowers end of September?

Submitted: Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 09:46
ThreadID: 15415 Views:2309 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
WA Members,

Heather and I will be across in Perth for the Davis Cup prliminary round late in September. I wonder where out of Perth it is easy to get to wild flower districts in a pseudo 4by hire car. We will have only a few days there and it has been suggested we go North - where we have not been so far, though we have been north of Geralton.

Where do you suggest, Kings Park aside?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michelle from ExplorOz - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 12:26

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 12:26
HI John,
September is the ideal wildflower season in WA so what perfect timing for your trip! You'll be pleased to know that wildflowers actually grow everywhere - so you'l even see them alongside the main roads in Perth at that time. One road in particular - the Tonkin Hwy near the Reid Hwy entrance will be in full bloom with Proteas lining both sides of the highway - just amazing!

The other good news is that if you do have a few days then you can easily access some great areas by 2WD vehicle to view the wildflowers - I'd be suggesting Moora, Coorow, Morawa, Mingenew (all south of Geraldton). A little further north in Kalbarri (6hr straight drive from Perth but missing all the above towns) you are bound to see a good display too, and they even have a wildflower sanctuary or something like that there.

The main thing to keep in mind is that each area produces wildflowers in season - but each year is different and so some areas are better than others - depending on how cold or mild the season has been there and most importantly the amount of rain. I cannot advise on each specific area and its a bit early to predict as evidence isn't quite apparent yet of what the season will hold but we're just weeks away from seeing the first real blooms.

Hopefully some other WA Forum readers will assist you too.
ExplorOz

Business Member
My Profile  My Blog

AnswerID: 71861

Reply By: Davoe - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:11

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:11
go to any tourist beureu they will be advetising wildfloer tours and then go to the areas the turs go but as per previos post hard to miss them.
AnswerID: 71912

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:19

Monday, Aug 09, 2004 at 18:19
Hi John

Kalbarri is the wildflower capital of Australia....in my opinion. But Kings Park in Perthhas agood variety of plants especially the kangaroo paw.
AnswerID: 71914

Reply By: Wayne from the Pilbara - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 02:20

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 02:20
Mt Lesueur National Park near Jurien Bay was dedicated a national park due to the number of species of wildflowers. It is accessible on the Cockle Shell Gully road in a 2WD and there is a 4WD track to the top of Mt Lesueur part the way along the same road. (Softish sand at times, but not at all a hard drive) The turnoff is to the right if you are heading north and is a bit hard to see, but there is a CALM box there with maps - sometimes its empty though.

This is only 3 hours or so from Perth and you could include a trip into the Pinnacles too at Cervantes.

The area is easily accessible from the Brand Highway via Jurien East Road. Then its an easy trip into Jurien, down to Cervantes and then back out to the highway. You'll see heaps of wildflowers all the way. Good maps are available of the Jurien Region with this information on them.

Have a great trip.
Cheers

Wayne

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 71969

Reply By: Davoe - Wednesday, Aug 18, 2004 at 21:33

Wednesday, Aug 18, 2004 at 21:33
got a better answer than my last. There is a book called wild flowers of south western w.a and is sold at angus and robertson and probably many other places. it has detailed info on the different flowers in the different areas of most of w.a and has suggested routes of travel as well as reserves etc worth visiting has 900 identifying photos $25 approx. it is quite a large book. Just bought it well worth the money
AnswerID: 73162

Sponsored Links