Wiring up HF Radio in overhead console

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 15:41
ThreadID: 15454 Views:3078 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks ...

Being an "electrical gelding" I thought I should ask before acting ....

I am just about to install an overhead console (second hand) that I have come by into my '91 80 Series Cruiser. I was going to run the power and aerial wiring up inside the pillar to my UHF radio (Uniden), but as I go through the install, I find that there will be a connection (currently used for the overhead light) available, as the overhead light does not get installed. So I seem to have a source of power.

Can I connect my radio to this power source? Is there anything special I need to look out for or consider? I *think* this part of the wiring is serviced by a 10 amp fuse under the bonnet.

Many thanks, in the hope I have provided sufficient information.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 15:51

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 15:51
Hi Jack,

While the light wire will provide sufficient voltage to operate, it will most probably cause a voltage drop when transmitting. On my previous 80 series, I wired the UHF into my stereo power wire but noticed the light on the UHF dimmed when transmitting. By running a separate wire, the dimming on transmit disappeared. While I never measured how much this affected the range, I am sure it would be noticeable. Also, the overhead wire is permanent 12V, whereas you typically wire UHF to acc 12V.

So, to answer your question, yes you can do it, but will most probably affect your transmit range and also the potential to flatten your battery if forgetting to switch off. IMHO it would be better to run a separate 12V acc wire.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 72044

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 16:01

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 16:01
I agree with Captain on the Voltage Drop, if you are running your coax there, you might as well run a good circut of juice too,
However captain, each to their own, but I would never wire my UHF up to accesories?!
You can leave it on 24/7 for months on standby without flatening your starter battery and if you have duel bats, it's just not even an issue.
I find it (IMO) good practice to leave your UHF on all the time when out bush, you never know when someone might need help etc. Plus with the kids and their handhelds we can keep an ear on them all the time too.
Lost your keys? I'll just radio for my mate to come back and help me out... Oh bugger. :-(
FollowupID: 332207

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 18:36

Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004 at 18:36
Thanks - that clears it up.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 72064

Sponsored Links