GQ Patrol's dynamic balance problem

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1547 Views:1939 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Guys/Gals,

I read the following on the Cooper Tyres web site, and was hoping someone could explain the problem to me. Thanks.

"Nissan Patrol GQ’s and from all accounts GU’s have a dynamic balance problem between 80 – 90 kph to a greater or lesser degree, Certainly all three GQ’s I’ve had over the last ten years have had the characteristic".
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jim Searle - Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00
Yes they do!! Once I wore out the original tyres on my GU, I had trouble. The Nissan dealer sent me off to "Quick Fit" as they said the had a special tool to add to their balancing machine. Well it took them about 3 hours and each time I rotate the tyres, I have the same problem!!! I'm not sure if i twas the change to BFG tthat made the problem worse.(bigger tyres)

I guess you just get used to it!!!!

Jim
AnswerID: 5145

Reply By: mike - Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00
GPA, I don't know what was on the Coopers website but I've owned my 92 mav lwb diesel from new and have experienced the shakies etc. at various times. I've heard all sorts of theories ,mainly from salespeople wanting to part me from my few dollars to buy new steering dampers or gizmo castor bits. In the 182,000 kms I have had this car, I have found the problem to be in balancing . My wheels are standard 6jj 16 inch steel rims original equip. now with 235/85R16 BFG A/T tyres which my local tyre man balances spot on. The accuracy in balancing is crucial. I've experienced balancing in the past from tired people who always blamed the car rather than try a bit harder to solve the problem. Sure, the front end is a bit sensitive, like me, but dealt with properly it can be ok without all the mumbo jumbo and black magic ! Over the past 6 weeks we have been on the Gibb R. road , out to Old Mornington Camp ,Middle Lagoon, Cape Leveque and back to Perth via Shay Gap and Nullagine. No shakey-shakey at all ! Find a genuine no-bullbleep tyre shop and get your balance done as soon as they next have the balancer calibrated. P.S. I still have the orig. steering damper on board. Good luck , Mike.
AnswerID: 5818

Sponsored Links