Dooley Downs / Pingandy road

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 11, 2004 at 19:34
ThreadID: 15480 Views:4506 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Back in June there was a thread initiated by Papa Smurf on this forum asking about the road from Mt Augustus to Karijini via Dooley Downs / Pingandy / Ashburton. We are intending to travel this road towing an offroad poptop caravan in about three weeks so if Papa Smurf or anyone else has done this road recently I would appreciate an update. Is it suitable for a caravan? Is there much traffic on this route? Camping spots along the way? Any creek crossings? Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tessysdad - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 00:22

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 00:22
Hello there DiverDoug, Jan and I travelled this route, only the other way around, in late June this year. We had a camper trailer in tow and a tinnie on top.. Apart from being extremely dusty, the road was very good. The only bit of road that I would consider doubtful for a caravan is the bit between the Nanutara-Wittenoom Road and Tom Price. The sign said "impassable to cars and utes" but we could not see why, apart from some rough (dry) creek crossings of which there were only about two or three. Just some care needed I think, they are more a large rut than a deep creek crossing and you should be able to articulate your way across without drama. We camped overnight about a hundred meters off the road on Ashburton Downs. Kept away from creek beds because there seemed to be a lot of cattle congragating near water holes. We noted a number of other possibilities along the way, I might even had GPS co-ords if you are interested. Passed only two or three other vehicles, about half a dozen or so by the time we got to Carnarvon. Its probably busier now because of the wildflower season. Even though it has only been about six or seven weeks since we travelled that way, I believe there has been considerable rain in the region since. There was not however very much evidence, none that I can remember, of prior major washouts - not like the GRR and Cape Leveque Road. Hope this is helpful. email me if you want those GPS Co-ords. michael@mateljan.com.
Happy camping,
Mike and Jan.
AnswerID: 72231

Follow Up By: DiverDoug - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 21:32

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 21:32
Hi Mike and Jan. Thanks for your reply. What a great forum this is for finding out this type of information. We too will be approaching this road from the north. Our planned route from Perth is via the coast to Port Hedland with stops at Stock Yard Gully Caves (Lake Indon), a little camp area on the beach called Gladstone (north of Shark Bay turnoff, stopped there previously), Warroora Station (near Coral Bay) and Point Sampson. Then inland to Marble Bar, across to Gt Northern Hwy via Hillside Woodstock Road, Karijini, Mt Augustus and back on to Gt Nthn Hwy, Meekatharra and Perth. We are hoping for a bountiful wildflower season through these inland areas. I know the last few years haven't been that great. If anyone has information on the above mentioned route we would be grateful.
FollowupID: 332572

Sponsored Links