Good 4WD for Towing and Beaching - Opinions needed

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1549 Views:1951 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone

I am looking at getting a good 4WD to tow a boat (16ft and trailer) and also good for beach driving. So I assume it has to have good power potiential. I originally thought of a Cherokee, which should have more than enough power, but now am thinking of going smaller....a Forester, CRV or Freelander.

Can any of you lend me some advice or opinions you have?

thanks
Flaksy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graham - Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 23, 2002 at 00:00
I have a Nissan pathfinder, ( and tow a caravan)...... I'd say that this is as small as you want to go if you want to tow etc.......so have a look at the medium 4x4's and upwards, ie..the Pathfinder, the Frontera, etc. nothing under a 6 cyl....
AnswerID: 5067

Reply By: Bob - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00
I'd go no smaller then Pajero or Prado - lighter than the Cruisers with same sized wheels - more capable in sand. Give Landrovers a miss though - not good in sand and generally unreliable.
AnswerID: 5086

Follow Up By: Bob - Friday, Jul 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 26, 2002 at 00:00
generally unreliable? Only if you believe the fabricated postings on this list.
FollowupID: 2196

Follow Up By: Bob - Saturday, Jul 27, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 27, 2002 at 00:00
Bob, What I said is common knowledge amongst four wheel drivers. Surely it's quite reasonable to pass on common knowledge to a person making a genuine enquiry. Not everyone is experienced in four wheel driving - that's why they ask questions. If I know that a vehicle has deficiencies then I feel I'm obliged to pass that knowledge on. If you disagree, that's fine - but I object to having my opinion branded as a fabrication! You should simply present your opinion with reasons. My reasons for saying that Landrovers are not good in sand is simply because of their tyres being narrower than those on Toyotas. That can be remedied by fitting wider wheels but that involves some expense and inconvenience. As for the generally unreliable aspect, you will find many people who hold that opinion and it is based on years of observation and camp fire discussions. They're a nice looking vehicle which conjure up fond memories for many people but they're not a vehicle which meets the standards required by today's four wheel drivers. I guess you're an old guy and if you're happy with yours that's fine. BUT other people are allowed to have an opinion contrary to yours!!
FollowupID: 2211

Reply By: Graeme N - Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00
I would personally give the smaller ones a miss for the towing purpose. The Forester is a very capable beach vehicle, but I wouldn't want to be towing a boat with it.

I would be looking at the Pajero, Prado or Jackaroo. Any of those are more than capable of what you require. If your hearts set on a Cherokee though, you could do worse than buying it.
AnswerID: 5097

Follow Up By: Bob - Saturday, Jul 27, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 27, 2002 at 00:00
Yes I agree with Graeme. A ranking in mid sized would be Prado, Pajero, Jackaroo, Cherokee, Disco
FollowupID: 2212

Reply By: flaksy - Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks guys...have gone the Cherokee in the end.
Flaksy
AnswerID: 5135

Sponsored Links