Great Central Road

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 13:22
ThreadID: 15498 Views:1509 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone travelled the GCR the last few weeks we are in Broome and want to do the run to see the rock on the way back to the coast i am interested in fuel requirements and condition of the road i use ULP, thanks for anyreplys will check in a couple of day "got to get back to the beach now"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Slim - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 16:26

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 16:26
10 Para,

I did the GCR last year whilst en route Perth to the Rock and condition was good with a few areas of corrugations and and a little untidy stuff between The Olgas and Docker River.
My brother went through about 3 weeks ago and they said it was in 90 km/h condition towing camper trailer. He said the Docker River section was a little rough but certainly nothing to be concerned about. He did Perth-Uluru-Kings Canyon-Alice and back to Perth without a puncture. Have a good trip.

Regards,

Slim.
AnswerID: 72310

Follow Up By: Member - Slim - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 20:40

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 20:40
Further to the comment about ULP fuel, you may have a problem there.
Laverton has ULP. Tjukayirla maybe. Warburton and Docker River, no ULP and I'm not sure about Giles. Phone calls would be the only way to confirm. I know this info is a bit piecemeal but unfortunately the situation does change. For instance Tjukayirla did have a ULP ban but a few months ago there was a suggestion on this forum that they may be now selling ULP. You will have to check or use avgas.

Regards Slim.
FollowupID: 332566

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 20:02

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 20:02
some rain last 24hrs - give the r/houses along the road a call when you wish to travel. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 72358

Reply By: Member - Ray Mc (WA) - Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 22:05

Thursday, Aug 12, 2004 at 22:05
Trek notes elsewhere on this site have info re: fuel availability and the Great Central Road. We are also going to be on that road in early September, Perth - Alice.
Cheers
Ray
AnswerID: 72397

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Monday, Aug 16, 2004 at 23:57

Monday, Aug 16, 2004 at 23:57
Hi,

We travelled GCR from Lav-Yalara a few weeks ago. Road conditions at that time were fantastic. The lady at Warburton RH commented that roads are the best they've seen for past 10-12 years. We travelled at ~ 100 kmh with camper trailers for most of the track, with Docker R to the Olga's a little slower at ~ 80-90 km/h.

The trip notes on this site give good info, esp fuel availability. Fuel prices seem to be same for diesel, ULP (where you can get it) and AVGAS. Warburton was $1.52 per L when we went through. We travelled with another vehicle (both camper trailers) and we both noticed an increase in fuel consumption of ~ 3-4 L/100km between hwy and GCR. Perhaps lower tyre pressures, increased friction, corrugation, etc. No big deal as we were both diesel but for ULP with ~ 830 km max leg without ULP may be something to think about when determining extra fuel to take.

Hope you have a great trip.

Hugh
AnswerID: 72880

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff K (WA) - Sunday, Sep 05, 2004 at 08:32

Sunday, Sep 05, 2004 at 08:32
Hi, I have just completed a trip both ways, from Laverton to Alice Springs and back. Road condition is reasonable, however, the section for 150km's west of WA/NT border is very corrugated. A recent addition to the wreck list is another caravan, single axle, we slowed down but things were under control, it appeared another victim of broken springs, it had rolled over after a major sway - as indicated by the gouges in the road. The road is exceptional heading East from Docker River. Ernest Giles Road is a dried out version of winters ruts, you wouldn't want a wheel to drop into one, you'd be in it for k's, the western end is extremly corrugated and sand drifts are steep. Dates were 24 Aug to 02 Sep.
FollowupID: 334978

Sponsored Links