Practical use of OziExplorer

Submitted: Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 13:23
ThreadID: 15526 Views:1667 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm currently setting up the maps for our trip and wondered what others do with their OziExplorer for trip preparation.

Here's what I'm doing.

Prepared all the maps for our planned trip adding some extras in case we choose to detour whilst on route.
Plotted waypoints for the entire trip. On the black top I've only plotted major points but in more remote areas (or in places where we are taking a short cut) I've plotted to a fairly high degree of detail so that the route line follows the track reasonably closely.
Setup routes, one for each day's travel.
This way I figure we will be far less likely to accidentally stray off the planned route.

I'm a bit of the techno junkie so if this sounds like too much work for some of you - I've found it fun. Its also given me great familiarisation with the route.

I'd love to hear what others do - particularly those with far more practical experience on long outback trips in unfamiliar areas.

Gaz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 13:39

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 13:39
Oh BTW - What settings do you guys use for recording .plt files. I'm using a mouse GPS so it has no recording capability everthing goes on the IPAQ which has heaps of room (30-60mb of free space) just wanted to know what frequencyto set the tracking on.

I notice on Plot Swap that plots are between 800m and 4k's apart.

Any hints?

Gaz
AnswerID: 72454

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 14:22

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 14:22
Gary,

I record everything at 30M interval and then later use filtering to break it down to whatever mapping output I want. You will notice some of the plotswap at much better than 800M however due to online mapping and the scale required for output at say 1:250K then every 100M - 200M is easily enough. The plotted line on most 250K maps ranges between 100-300M wide just for the road line (depends on map and road line width). One of the other requirements for Plotswap is to keep the files below 1MB - On my recent Variety Event I recorded at 30M (5533KM = about 7.7MB) and then filtered the enitre file down using 500-750M and 25Deg filtering (OziExplorer Track Control option). this made the file (5531KM = about 591K). The resolution is excellent even at this filter level when you superimpose the plot on the 250K topo maps.

The basic answer is record at 30 - 50M and then you have complete control over the results later on.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 332658

Follow Up By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 17, 2004 at 10:31

Tuesday, Aug 17, 2004 at 10:31
So where on OziCE do you alter this recording frequency I can't seem to find it. Doh!

Gaz
FollowupID: 333033

Reply By: Richard - Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 23:32

Friday, Aug 13, 2004 at 23:32
Have Oziexplorer on my Ipaq using a Navman sleeve. Just loaded up and used the Hemma maps for a Simpson crossing. Tracked spot on.
AnswerID: 72564

Reply By: Mike-TS - Saturday, Aug 14, 2004 at 22:11

Saturday, Aug 14, 2004 at 22:11
Hi Gaz,

Love your rig.

I've got a Garmin GPS II+ with external aerial. I do similar to you, plot my route using waypoints etc and monitor progress.

I've also used the track feature when we took a wrong turn in the desert and couldn't find our way back onto the track - life saver!

I've also used the moving map feature, which was fantastic, but the computer didn't have external power and dropped dead quickly!

Mike
AnswerID: 72643

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Monday, Aug 16, 2004 at 15:59

Monday, Aug 16, 2004 at 15:59
Gary, I do what you do (for the same reasons too) and I do what David does (but set the original record at 50m instead of 30m).

Glad you're having fun. I hope the trip is a success.
AnswerID: 72817

Sponsored Links