new tyre advice

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 24, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 156 Views:2415 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Need some independant tyre advice please.
We have a 97 nissan patrol GQ 2.8TD wagon with wide wheel pac.We currently run Desert duellers- Bridgstone, 31x10.50R15LT. They have done 45,000klms with another 5,000klms left. We travel 100klm per day(bus run). 60klm is on sealed road the other 40klm is on white sand/gravel road with lots of corrigations and very slippery when wet. All winter. Can anyone offer some advice on our next purchase. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joseph Baz - Sunday, Mar 25, 2001 at 01:00

Sunday, Mar 25, 2001 at 01:00
Luke,I have been running A/T BF GOODRICH i found this brand and pattern very suited to my needs ,they have a tough side wall and allways return good mileage,there is many good brands you just have to match it with the price and pattern required
Hope didnt confuse you
Joe
AnswerID: 303

Reply By: steve dann - Sunday, Mar 25, 2001 at 01:00

Sunday, Mar 25, 2001 at 01:00
We have run hankook a/t,s for the last 2.5 yrs and still have about 6 months left in them .we cover all sorts of terrain as we try to get about a bit .the tyres have been up the oodnadatta from flinders ranges end to woomera , across the sands of Robe and the high country of vic and occasionally the gq gets used for work {loaded with tools and materials}I have had only 1 flat in this time {a nail} I find that travelling on rough and corrigated rds I lock in the hubs and travel in 4 high and get a fairly smooth and untroubled ride.. this is only my opinion but I hope it helps feel free to contact me at the above address steve
AnswerID: 305

Reply By: Joe McDermott - Monday, Mar 26, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Mar 26, 2001 at 00:00
Luke - I have been running Bridgestone Duellers D693s for nearly a year and I have found them to be great. They employ this new Donuts technology which I first dismissed as marketing bull, but they really do seem to grip well on all road terrains - they are not too flash on mud, but then nothing normal ever is. The old Desert Duellers have an annoying habit of running very short of grip once they are about half worn which I am sure you have found out about ! The new Dueller A/Ts just dont do that, or at least not to the same extent. They are recommended.
Joe
AnswerID: 308

Follow Up By: Luke - Tuesday, Mar 27, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Mar 27, 2001 at 00:00
Thankyou to those who replied. I am going for the new Bridgestone DD693s. Will let you know how they go. I would like some comments from people in regard to the correct tyre pressure.
we have been told to run the tyre from 30lbs up to 40lbs. This is from all sorts of tyre people none seem to give the same answer. We drive on part gravel part sealed road. No load except kids.
32lbs seems like the safe option if in doubt. Once again any info would be appreciated.
Thanks all.
FollowupID: 52

Reply By: Jim Sutton - Wednesday, Mar 28, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Mar 28, 2001 at 00:00
You will find that most 4WD club members use BFG tyres because of their strong side wall construction, good tread patterns and good handling.
I use BFG Muds but the best tyre for you is the new AT which is very good in mud and most other surfaces.
AnswerID: 314

Reply By: mark C - Sunday, Apr 01, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 01, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Luke
I run a tag along tour business and use BFG A/T.
Check out others and you find that most operators run them because they are the best. They offer good performance on the blacktop as well as off road situations. I have used other brands and found that they arent as tough. I find the A/T the best as you will travel across more bitumen before you get to the tracks.
AnswerID: 323

Sponsored Links