CAMPING AT CAPE YORK

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 24, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1563 Views:2462 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
HI ALL, I'M TRAVELLING TO THE CAPE AT THE START OF OCTOBER. I REGULARLY SLEEP IN A SWAG AND WAS WONDERING HOW SAFE IT IS TO SLEEP IN ONE OF THESE. I WILL BE STAYING MAINLY IN THE DESIGNATED CAMPING SPOTS , BUT AM A LITTLE CONCERNED ABOUT OUR BIG FRIENDS[CROCS].ALSO DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY PLACES I CAN HUNT A STRAY PIG OR TWO. ALSO ANY GREAT FISHING OR DRINKING HOLES WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS BEN.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DUNC - Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00
You must visit The LIONS DEN pub just south of cooktown, excellent
camping down the back by the river (you can swim in).
FISHING - We had a boat which is the way to go, try Chilli beach and
any river that looks the goods ie Lakefield nation park.
SHOOTING - When driving through lakefield national park we saw hundreds of BIG BLACK pigs, but being a national park I don't think you can shoot anything.
In the end we caught about 20 different species of fish.
AnswerID: 5123

Reply By: MikeyS - Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00
Ben. You'll be fine in a swag so long as you don't sleep too close to a nice shady inviting waterhole. If you think a place would be a good spot for Mr Croc to live, it probably is. I think the Nat Parks info says you shouldn't camp less than 50 metres from rivers, but the camp we were allocated at Lakefield was only about 10 metres from the river. ( Didn't get much sleep those nights) Crocs don't go hunting on land but will grab food at the water's edge.
I know of people hunting pigs with crossbows in Lakefield. I was told that the rangers sort of turn a blind eye to it because its really eliminating an introduced pest.At the same time crossbows are still classified as firearms and are technically illegal in the park so the rangers can't condone it.
The Lion's Den is well woth a coldie. Wish I was there. MikeyS
AnswerID: 5130

Sponsored Links