Availability of parts - BJ40 Landcruiser

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1572 Views:5192 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey everyone,
The 4WD bug has bitten me and im about to purchase my first 4WD - a 1978 BJ40 Landcruiser. Being an old car, i anticipate that many things could and probably will go wrong with it. Does anyone know if its easy to get parts for these cars? Can parts from other cruiser's be used quite easily? For example, if the motor died (heaven forbid) would i be able to find another one easily, can an engine from a later series diesel cruiser be used?
I appreciate all your help guys, the willingness of people to help on this forum makes it the best.

Ryan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jono - Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00
Ryan,
40 series cruisers are great, dont let anyone tell you otherwise!!!! You may struggle to get 'new' accessories for your truck from places like ARB, such as snorkels and bullbars etc, but the good news is that 99% of 40 series trucks already have a bull bar, and new (or newish) suspension. Many old truck style bull bars can be modified to fit. Engine conversions can be done without to many problems because there is plenty of room in the engine bay of a 40 to slot in something else. All you have to do is make adjustments to engine mounts and fuel lines/radiators etc, but don't worry, there are plenty of people who have made these sort of conversions their business. Adaptor kits can be purchased from businesses like Mark's Adaptors to fit most common engine/vehicle configurations that you would likely want to do. The best news of all is that with a 40, you can be sure of one thing...whatever you want to do, someone will have already done it, so with a bit of research you should be able to find out whats what.
AnswerID: 5146

Reply By: Cashy - Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00
Ryan,

Don't worry about parts. There are quiet a lot of 40/45 series still being used today. Toyota still supplies original parts for them. Many of them are being converted into trucks for competion so there is alos loads of after market accessories.

Cashy
AnswerID: 5147

Reply By: Ryan - Friday, Jul 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 26, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks guys, i was really hoping there would be an engine i could drop straight into it, without any conversion kit required or anything, like say a later model landcruiser engine. I am only paying $1500 for this car and am on a pretty tight budget, and marks 4wd adaptors want $995 for the conversion kit alone, to fit a holden v8 to it! Hardly seems worth it, if the motor did die on me and i cant drop any other motor straight in there i guess i would just have to count my losses...because theres doesnt seem to be any B series motors at the wreckers or anything!
AnswerID: 5165

Follow Up By: Jono - Friday, Jul 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jul 26, 2002 at 00:00
ryan,
re B series truck engines: Keep an eye out in the trading post or similar (eg Quokka in perth) for b series engines, i have seen a couple pop up over the last six months or so. look in 4WD's for sale, Utes, Trucks and also Parts sections as it could appear in any of these sections. Good luck.
PS: I'm going to be doing a 40 series project for myself in the near future, cant wait to get on with it!!!!!
FollowupID: 2205

Reply By: Ryan - Saturday, Jul 27, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jul 27, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the advice guys. I brought the cruiser today!! I got it for
$1500, its bright yellow, has a little bit of rust but runs well. Cant wait to go do some 4WD'ing tomorrow at cervantes. I appreciate all your advice, and will keep an eye out for engines. Thankyou!!
AnswerID: 5196

Sponsored Links