road conditions

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1574 Views:1951 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
A friend and I are taking a couple of "big choockies"(large off road bikes) through to Boulia via Tipoburra, camerons corner, Innamincka & birdsville next week.I've got a bit of 4wd experience & know that what seems good going in a 'cruiser is rs on a bike & vise versa.
Anybody got any information re road conditions etc relevent to bikesfor this area? PS The fella with the BJ40 shouldn't get talked into funny ideas about engines etc IF his B diesel failed. A lot of the Toyota commercial range (dyna trucks) have engines i.e.13b;14b; which are excellent repower options which basically bolt in. Happy trails!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Beddo - Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00
I lived at Tibooburra and had a KLR650 with dual purpose tyres on it. Bikes such as these no problems. If your bikes have the mud guards low down on the front wheel you will be stuffed if you get any rain, you need higher guards. Emus and roos are abundant right thru to Cameron Corner, with the emus being really unpredictable - so right down for them as they will change direction at the last moment. Recommend that you run a section of old tube in the tyres to aid in not getting punctures from pinching. The road from B'hill to Tibooburra no problem as half of it is bitumen and the rest is hard clay with some red sand over the top (shallow). Watch for light coloured patches as these will be bull dust holes & likely to be deep. On way to Camerons Corner there will be hard packed clay again with additional sand as you get to Fort Grey & Cameron Corner & also corragations. From Fort Grey be careful of the dunes as the roads veers sharply on a number of occasions as you crest the dune (watch for the aerials of vehicles as you approach dunes). Also as you come over the top often the other side is littered with soft bull dust holes etc. Don't try going along dingo fence, apart from it being illegal it gets very sandy - not a good thing loaded up on a bike. Beer at Cameron Corner more dunes & sand to Innaminka much the same. Innaminka on you pick up the Gibber country - rounded and sharp rocks, sand, bull dust etc, stones vary from small stuff to golf ball and larger. Approached tree lined gullies beware as often there are big bull dust holes where people brake hard. Call the National Parks at Tibooburra they will know a heap about road conditions right up to Innaminka, hope this is helpful, Cheers Beddo
Check with NPWS Tibooburra about drinking water availability.
AnswerID: 5149

Reply By: Fred - Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jul 25, 2002 at 00:00
Dennis, I travelled Birdsville - Innamincka - Cameron Corner -Tibooburra - Broken Hill on the way back from crossing the Simpson Desert. Found the road to be fine except after rain which made it very difficult in a 4wd and impossible for bikes. Mind you after crossing the Simpson, any road on which you could travel at 100kph seemed good!! Good luck and take care!! Good details from the person before me too!
AnswerID: 5152

Follow Up By: Dennis - Sunday, Jul 28, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 28, 2002 at 00:00
thanks a lot to both of you. we'll be coming via Tilpa & Waanaring. Funny that Beddo has a klr; Im riding a Tengai and I'm expecting we will have a beer at the corner next monday! Cheers!
FollowupID: 2224

Sponsored Links