Solar Powered Battery Charges

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 28, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1597 Views:1840 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Thinking of purchasing a Solar Powered Battery Charger to keep extra power to the Battery when on day trips and operating the car fridge when stopped ..eg at the beach or having a barbe, the system l am looking at has a working current of 100ma in full sun, will this be enough to be able to recharge the battery at the same time as operating the fridge, not sure what the fridge draws amp wise but its a 36L unit.

Thanks in advance
Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Sunday, Jul 28, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jul 28, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Jason

Depends on the fridge..ie is it a compressor unit or one of the cheaper electronic ones?
The bad news is it very likely that the fridge that size will draw around 5 or 6 amps when running.
If it ends up being 6 amps, you will require around 60 of the units you have mentioned if the fridge runs continuously!!
Most people use a 60 or 80 watt panel if they intend to stay parked for a few days.
The units you mention are designed to "trickle" charge your battery if you park your car in storage for long periods without starting ie you go overseas for 6 months and want to make sure the car battery is charged
still when you return.

cheers
John
AnswerID: 5208

Follow Up By: Johnh - Sunday, Jul 28, 2002 at 00:00

Just had a look at various fridge power consumption levels......
Looks like you can expect around 2-3 amps current draw for a 39L
That still amounts to around 2000-3000ma.......as you can see the little panel still doesn't have a chance of keeping up if you intend to stay parked for a while.
FollowupID: 2226

Reply By: royce - Sunday, Jul 28, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Jason. I just went through the research earlier this year. It worked out that the cost and size meant that the idea of using a solar panel to run anything or charge anything in any reasonable time was not a goer. As much as I have loathed people who run generators out in the bush, I am considering getting one of the incredibly small and quiet units they have around nowadays. Royce
AnswerID: 5212

Sponsored Links