Portable Power

Submitted: Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1606 Views:2012 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I will be travelling Oz for 6 months next year. I am looking for a portable power solution to power a laptop and tv and small lights. Does anyone have any experience with the Bushranger Power Tanks? Pros & cons. How they compare to other systems. Also, has anyone any recommendations for an inverter for the laptop, as it seems that to be safe I will need a true/pure sine wave model.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00
You can buy the gelcell batteries that the portable power packs use at most battery shops for a bit cheaper. For example Super Cheap sell an 18 Ah gelcell for $50. Also you may be able to get a genuine 12 volt power supply for your laptop, or the Targus step-up power supply may suit. This saves converting to 240v then back to 16 volts (or whatever your laptop runs on).
AnswerID: 5230

Reply By: Kiwoka - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00
I dont know about the bushranger but...
Buy yourself a GOOD 65ah or greater Battery and an inverter of say 300 watts. Shouldn't cost much more than $300.00 this will give you all the power you will need.
AnswerID: 5249

Reply By: Andrew - Wednesday, Jul 31, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jul 31, 2002 at 00:00
I have had a Bushranger for a while now. They are very good at what they do, and I have even run my Engel fridge from it for 24 Hours !!! As the power gets down it also sets off an alarm ( which is a musical tune ), so that will surprise you sometime in the middle of the morning. It has a torch built in as well, which is quite good and will last a long time. They are also handy to keep topped up, if you need a jump start so this is also quite good. They do however take quite a while to charge up, so you will need to keep this in mind. You won't need a "Pure SineWave" inverter for the laptop, as the switchmode supply will clean up the power up for you. Cheers, Andrew, Outback Oz.
AnswerID: 5290

Sponsored Links