gps Garmin or Maggellan or ?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1609 Views:3492 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Tossing between a garmin emap or a maggellan meridian gps. Does anyone have any comment on either. I understand the garmin base map system is being upgraded mid august. Interested in ease of use and quality of maps.
Thanks Darryl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: P.G. (Tas) - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00
Darryl, I've been using the eMap with OziExplorer/Auslig GeoRaster 250K for the past 9 months and I am more than happy with the setup. The new base maps for the existing Garmin units is expected to be expensive to update (as is every accessory for all GPS units), however if you can get an eMap at the current prices with the updates then you have kicked a great goal! Using the above setup I have complete and cheap upgradeable maps. I can not see how either company justify charging about a $100 for a combined power/data cable! If commonly available plugs were used Richard Smith could manufacture & sell them for $19.95 and still make a good dollar! Mounting brackets are another sore spot! Hopefully this will send a message to whoever sets the prices for these things that I won't pay their exhorbitant demands. Now that's out of the way:-) Either manufacturer produces good products and it is ultimately up to you as to YOUR specific requirements. Hope this helps, Cheers
AnswerID: 5229

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Hi PG,

You can get Garmin plugs for $5 from GPS OZ.

Just make sure you push the wires through the middle piece before you solder the connectors on.
FollowupID: 2250

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

I can't comment on the Magellans as I've never used one and I don't even know anyone who has one.

I have a Garmin and there are a lot of them around, and some are farily old and still going strong.

Also you can get non-genuine plugs for the Garmin and reasonable prices from GPS OZ.
But be aware that not all Garmins run off 12 volt, so you may need a regulator.
AnswerID: 5232

Follow Up By: P.G. (tas) - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks Nigel, reinforces my previous argument on costs! I will check out that website before I buy an external antenna or anymore accessories, I've been baulking at these costs for six months. Cheers.
FollowupID: 2254

Reply By: Bob - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Darryl
I've been using a Garmin 12xl for some time now and find it's excellent. It has an extensive data base of locations world wide.
AnswerID: 5235

Reply By: Greg Harewood - Monday, Jul 29, 2002 at 00:00

Six of one and Half a dozen of the other I suppose...both will do the job perfectly. The new Mapsend Streets for Magellan GPS's (map upload to Map330's & Meridians but still useable for waypoint & track upload download and moving map for others) is pretty flash. For example South West WA coverage is based on 1:25,000 topo map track coverage (OK so its 10 years old - newer tracks missing)..rest of state appears to be 1:100,000 coverage?. Perth/Bunbury etc Street level - appears a bit out of date in some areas... BUT nothing better. I assume other Aus states are similar. Garmin will have to be busy to catch up.
Cheers
Greg
AnswerID: 5237

Reply By: Tim - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00
I have a Garmin Emap, and have found that the base map is very outdated and inaccurate. However I find the Emaps features are great and easy to use in conjuction with OziExplorer and the Auslig 250K Raster maps. I can create a track at home using OziExplorer and upload it into the Emap, this has saved me from taking a wrong turn and getting lost a number of times on outback tracks.

I went for the Garmin as I was able to find someone that threw in a genuine Garmin Dash mount and combination 12v and PC cable with the unit. The dash mount is only stuck on with what appears to be double sided tape (easy to relocate) but it holds extremely well. I have had bolts falling out of the dash and CB areials stripping themselves while going over some extreme corrogations in NT but the GPS didn't move.
AnswerID: 5256

Sponsored Links