4WDs with Auto transmission

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 28, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 161 Views:2430 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any experience with auto transmission-equipped vehicles on serious 4WD trips, eg. Canning, Simpson Desert, etc? Any comments for or against?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark C - Sunday, Apr 01, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 01, 2001 at 00:00
Hi John
I operate 4wd passenger & Tag along tours and use an 80 series auto - its great.
The only area where manuals have it over autos is compression braking on very steep downhill tracks - however thats easily overcome by appropriate use of the brake
When towing or working it hard on sandhills & the like, the transmission hump inside the vehicle tends to get hot. Again easily overcome by fitting a trans cooler for around $200.
I wouldnt go past them.
Hapy touring and hope to see you on tour
AnswerID: 322

Follow Up By: John R. - Saturday, Apr 07, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Apr 07, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks Mark, sounds as though autos have come a long way in the last few years - Ive been away from the 4WD scene, living and working in the UK for five years. Planning a trip back in Oz later this year and there seem to be a lot of autos on the second hand market.
FollowupID: 59

Reply By: Joseph Baz - Sunday, Apr 01, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 01, 2001 at 00:00
Jhon,Idrove manual 4x4 all my life and it was out of my wife insistance,we converted to auto and it is great specially were gradual power is needed to avoid getting bogged,personally i have never experience overheating,even over sand dunes.
Hope this is of some help
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 327

Thanks Joe, Ive many years experience in manuals but have been away from the 4WD scene for about five years, working in the UK. Might just pick up an auto for a trip later this year - sounds like theyve come a long way.
FollowupID: 60

Reply By: Greg Cartan - Monday, Apr 02, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 02, 2001 at 00:00
Have an NL auto Pajero - brilliant; especialy in sand and any issues with downhill braking can be overcome with a little care and forethough; more importantly perhaps a mate of mine who has owned a string manual toyotas because you cant trust those autos has recently changed to a 100 series auto after goiing across the Simpson with us and hes now a convert - so there must be something in it?? Greg
AnswerID: 328

Thanks Greg, Ill be looking for a 4WD later this year when I return to OZ. Been away from the 4WD scene for about five years and there seem to be a lot of autos on the market. Might make life a bit easier!
FollowupID: 61

Reply By: Tim - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2001 at 00:00
John, I have read the other responses and what they are saying is pretty much spot on. An auto is great for beachwork because of the ability to change through the gears with no power loss which is where a lot of mannuals become stuck however the gear box can heat up when it is constantly jumping through the gears, this problem can be overcome by selecting the gear and using the gear box some what similiar to a mannual. The economy is usually better in an auto but you dont have the ability to compresion brake like a mannual.
The big thing which can make a huge difference is if you are travelling by yourself in a remote location and your battery dies, in an auto your srewed in a mannual you at least have a chance.
Tim
AnswerID: 337

Thanks Tim, Ive years of experience in manual 4WDs but havent driven an auto. I guess one of the most important things with an auto would be to fit a good dual battery system and perhaps a solar panel. Ill be looking for a new 4WD soon and there seem to be a lot of autos on the market. I did not want to limit myself to manuals if autos are as good. General opinion seems to say they are!
FollowupID: 62

Sponsored Links