Diff. and gear oils

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1617 Views:2530 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I know oils ain't oils BUT can I use one oil in my diff.'s and gearbox as "emergency" spare oil to get me out of trouble for a while if necessary. My point is that my Prado is supposed to take Gear oil GL-4 or 5 SAE 75W-80 for the gear/transfer, Hypoid GL-5 SAE 90 for the front diff., and Hypoid Limited Slip. GL-5 SAE 90 for rear diff.. I know these are best but can I carry one as a spare and use it if I have to till I can flush it out and put the proper stuff in at the next town/servo.? Any temporary problems that I may have to live with till proper oil used? (eg. slippery diff. not work well?) Any long term effects if I take it easy till proper oil in place? I can hear people saying just carry the right oil BUT space and weight is critical with a family on board as well. Maybe leave the family behind? Thanks in anticipation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graham - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00
Kelvin
Please stick to the right oil for each unit the final drives are known as hypoid types with high tooth loadings they must have the right oil. Also limited slip units are very touchy they must have the right oil. Just take a litre of each in case you need to add a bit of oil I don't think you would ever need a complete refill. You could cause expensive damage by using the wrong oil.
reagards Graham
AnswerID: 5275

Reply By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

LR specify the same lub for the diffs and transfer case, being a 75W90R oil. The Landies don't have LSD's though, like the rear of the Prado. I would assume you could do this oil in the transfer and the front diff, but I would only put it in the rear if you had no oil in the axle. The wrong oil is better than no oil.
AnswerID: 5286

Reply By: Derek - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

Kelvin, under no circumstances do you put diff oils in gearboxes and transfer cases or gearbox oils into your diffs. Apart from giving you a shocking shift the 85/140 will attack the bushing material in the gearbox. You can however put LSD oil into an open centred diff but not 85/140 into a LSD. This would mean you now need only 2 types of oil for a long trip. When I go on long trips, I put my spare oils and any other 'unlikely to be used' things in the rear wheel arch cavitys, carefully wrapped in rag. Also don't forget, if you ever need to fit these oils on the wallaby you will need some way of getting the oil into the casings.
AnswerID: 5287

Follow Up By: Derek - Tuesday, Jul 30, 2002 at 00:00

Kelvin, further to my above comments, Ampol used to have a customer assistance number for questions just like yours. I see no reason why they would have discontinued the service so you could try phoning them for expert advice.
FollowupID: 2272

Reply By: Steve - Thursday, Aug 01, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 01, 2002 at 00:00
Why do you need to 'Top Up' any of these units ?? Do they 'use' oil ? Surely unless you have leaks, which should be fixed you, would not want to go bush with anything that needs anything done to these units.....It is critical that the correct oil is used in each unit.. they are designed to do a specific job for each one !! ... DONT MIX THEM...!!

steve
AnswerID: 5321

Sponsored Links