80 Series Diesel Exhaust Noise

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 01, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1627 Views:1771 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
As the engine rev's out between gear changes, there is a harsh "vibrating baffle" type noise, almost sounds like something is loose in the muffler. Once you have changed up, the noise isnt noticeable. There isn't any vibration through the vehicle, only the noise. The same is noticeable around 90 kph, but seems to go away once you have reached 100 kph. Is this standard for Diesel Landcruisers, or could the resonator / muffler under the drivers floor be cactus. When it's just sitting stationary idling away, it is as quiet as anything. My truck is a 1997 Standard wagon with 108 000 klms on the clock.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John H - Thursday, Aug 01, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 01, 2002 at 00:00
Stan, I had a similar noise with my troopy (at about 95000km), the noise was coming from the rear muffler box ( not the little one up near the drivers door). What had happened is the baffles had come loose inside and it was making a vibration noise. I had it removed and had a straight through muffler put in. This rectified the noise and gave me a noticable power increase also. The only down side was a sporty type of "burble" when it was given a boot full, the power increase was worth it though. Hope this is of some help.

Regards John.
AnswerID: 5337

Follow Up By: Stan - Friday, Aug 02, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 02, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks John for your feedback. The kids have not complained about any noise down the back, and noise definitely seems to be coming from down near my feet. Sometimes I could swear you can feel it through the floor. Could it be a cracked exhaust manifold, or a stuffed gasket?
FollowupID: 2307

Reply By: John H - Friday, Aug 02, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Aug 02, 2002 at 00:00
Stan I think if it was you would be able to see or feel where the leak is somewhere down there. If it dissappears at 100kmph you would think that it would only get worse. Does it sound really tinny with the vibration of the type that will loosen you fillings or is it more fluffy/deeper in sound? I have heard that when you turbo the 1hz there is a section that has to be put into the exhaust down near there to stop the vibration, however I turboed mine and never had too. I know every motor is different, maybe you should put a brick on the excellorator and climb under there and see if you can track it down. Let me know how you get on, I'll ask around and see if I can get and ideas from up here.

Regards John
AnswerID: 5358

Follow Up By: Stan - Saturday, Aug 03, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 03, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks again John. It's definitely a tinny sound, and sometimes I could swear you can feel it at your feet. It appears I have an original exhaust fitted (Toyota stamped on the mufflers) and my truck has done 109 000 klms. How long do these exhausts last, maybe the mufflers have had it due to normal wear and tear. If you hear anything from your mates, that would be great, thanks. You can contact me directly at "sjlawler@acenet.net.au".
FollowupID: 2320

Sponsored Links