engine conversion to holden v8

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 01, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1630 Views:4338 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hopping someone can help with this one. I've just bought my first 4 wheel drive, a late 1970's hilux single cab. The standard motor has done over 300,000 so i was thinks about swaping it over with a 5L holden motor out of a VN (which i already have). I'm wondering if anyone has had any experence with this and if they can offer any tips or traps to look out for. the other thing is i have the turbo 700 auto and not sure if i should change out the orignal box as well. cheers Ryan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Saturday, Aug 03, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 03, 2002 at 00:00
Ryan, If your Hilux engine is using excessive oil then I suggest you overhaul the engine or buy a Japanese imported engine or buy an engine that has been rebuilt. Toyota Hilux's were not designed for V8 engine transplants. You may have to change the gearbox, the diff, as well and axles and wheelbearings, the radiator, and the list goes on. You will end up spending too much money on it. Either you will give up on the problems and try to flog the Hilux to someone else or it will end up at the Tip. If you are intending to use your 4x4 for street racing then maybe putting a V8 in it will suffice but if you intend to go bush then stick to the formula that has been so successful for Toyota. I once had a Daihatsu F10 with a 2 litre motor in it. It was the fastest thing away from the traffic lights but it's top speed was only 78km!! Even a diff change did not improve it much. It got passed on to the next unlucky bloke. Take this advice from an old fella who has wrecked a few 4x4's :-) Cheers, Willie
AnswerID: 5375

Reply By: Allyn - Saturday, Aug 03, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Aug 03, 2002 at 00:00
Ryan
I too have a 5 litre V8 in my shed that I am contemplating installing like yourself. I am leaning towards 45 series but only really because I can exchange rims/tyres and various other parts from my 80 series as I upgrade them.
Would be interested to hear about the auto box query as I want to install a T350 if possible also.
There's plenty of Hilux's getting around with V8's in 'em so I figure it should be okay even though there's probably total truth in what others have advised.
Throw caution to the wind I say !
AnswerID: 5378

Reply By: Billowaggi - Sunday, Aug 04, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Aug 04, 2002 at 00:00
Hi all ,I concur with Willie, Hi Lux with VN 5 LITRE would be a complete nightmare, I have driven them and worked on them, The original drive train was designed to handle the 2L diesel 55 kw or 3Y petrol 68kw just imagine what 165kw of V8 will do to it , not to mention nearly four times the torque.If you need Commodore performance go buy a Commodore! The best engine for your Hi Lux is the one put in by Toyota or maybe an upgrade to Turbo diesel. Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 5397

Reply By: Valdon - Monday, Aug 05, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 05, 2002 at 00:00
Hey Ryan, there is something about V8's, just love the sound and being pushed back in the seat. Have to say though after doing what you propose doing I would not go near it again!
I had an '84 flat tray that we put a 5l in and had nothing but trouble. The biggest issue's were overheating, snapping axels, blowing gearboxes (did not go the t700 which I should have done) and stuffing uni joints. The bus would rev unbelievabley at highway speed. Off road it was a wepon until you poked the nose up a steep hill where it would cough and splutter before getting going again (Holey Carb issue).
But hey I am glad I had a go and will always remember dragging a 302 fairlane off at the lights while I was toing an 18 foot fibreglass boat!!
Good Luck
AnswerID: 5408

Reply By: ryan - Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 19, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks to everyone who replied, it's good to know that if i get into trouble i can post a question and it gets answered by people who know what the're on about,
Thanks again
Ryan
AnswerID: 5811

Sponsored Links