80 Series Diesels

Submitted: Friday, Mar 30, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 165 Views:1946 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking for an 80 series diesel for my family of 6. Recently I have stumbled on some design issues to do with the 90-95 Turbo Models. I have spoken to 4 different owners who have cooked their motors because a hose has come loose, I have also been told the crankshafts have problems leading to big end bearing breakdowns and also that the injectors clog up. Can anyone help me understand whether this is peculiar to the TURBO. Is there a good engine model to look for. Should I look for a normally aspirated one or just look elsewhere (Nissan etc)? I cant afford to go up to the 100 series!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joseph Baz - Thursday, Apr 05, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 05, 2001 at 00:00
Peter,when we look for a 4x4 we must keep an open mind and analyze,hoses dont just come loose and if you mechanic tells you that run out of his shop
there is common knoledge that Toyota motors will only take a roasting once,twice if you lucky,but to catalogue a motor on this alone is unfair.
Toyota makes one of the better turbo diesel in the market,however once the vehicle left the factory it is up to the owner to keep the maintenance,and not tolerate poor workmanship as is clearly the case with the people who cook the engine because things work out loose,i have the experience of running a Toyota Dealer in one of the most desolate towns in Oz and you have to make shure that you service is tip top and you dont have to get up in the middle of the night to pick some one up.
If i was looking for a turbo diesel....have a guess were my money will go
Please dont hesitate to reply if u like more infoCheers Joe
AnswerID: 340

Reply By: Chris - Thursday, Apr 19, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 19, 2001 at 00:00
Peter,
We purchased a standard 80 series diesel after owning a fantastic 60 series for many years. I find the power and overall speed terrific. I get great economy, the ride is terrific and I have built up many of my own accessories, such as a neat top storage locker, slide in camping unit, etc. I even know where to get those extra bits such as door storage pockets, etc. So if you would like to discuss anything, contact me on the email above. ( We will use the vehicle for a six month trip with two kids, NO trailer and a roof rack, so I have put in a great deal of thought into designing the setup...hope I can help you)
regards,
Chris
AnswerID: 358

Sponsored Links