Cameron Corner via Wanaaring

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 23, 2004 at 09:28
ThreadID: 16502 Views:4869 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I planning going to Cameron and Haddon Corner next July. 2 adults, 3 kids (11,14,16).
I am just trying to work out the : 1) Safest, 2) Most enjoyable 3) Quickest.
Will be driving a '99 TD Jack and at this stage probably towing a descent trailer and camping. (tent).
I am in Sydney (originally from Hay and Bre) and thought about going via Bourke and Wanaaring. I realise that the conditions could change at any time eg. rain, track conditions etc. But thought going via Wanaaring would be a little bit different.
Any thoughts from some one who has been there recently?
Thanks
Will
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 23, 2004 at 11:43

Thursday, Sep 23, 2004 at 11:43
We went that way to cameron corner in 02 stayed the night in Wanaaring, only thing to be concerned about is if you see red flags or saftey cones on the side of the road or on the top of a crest then slow down, i found out the hard way about that, big sand hole over the crest and at 90k the trailer we were towing became airborn that set us back a day getting the trailer fixed at Tibboburra, still it's a good road dry of cause, hairy when wet though, heaps of Wedge tails and roo's i'd go that way again. It's was a full day for us to Wanaaring from Bourke, we left late but got to stay the night at the very small camp at the general store, then a day to Tibboburra then a day to Innaminka with lunch at Cameron corner and a stop at Fort grey, then Merty Merty station to fix the trailer again.

Baz.
AnswerID: 77536

Follow Up By: Will - Friday, Sep 24, 2004 at 09:01

Friday, Sep 24, 2004 at 09:01
Thanks for the info baz, Its good to see that the locals put out markers to warn about potential tricky spots. It sounds like I will need to ring ahead for current track conditions before I go that way,
Thanks again
Will
FollowupID: 337255

Reply By: Vince NSW - Thursday, Sep 23, 2004 at 13:03

Thursday, Sep 23, 2004 at 13:03
We went via Whit Cliff but spent the night with people who had used the Wanaaring Rd. The said it was Ok with a few sections of corrigations. If you are going to Haddons via Camerons. Spend $10 and use the Bore Track. Slower than via Merty but a great drive. We did it in June and did not see another car for the whole trip antil we were almost in Innamincka.
Vince
AnswerID: 77543

Follow Up By: Will - Friday, Sep 24, 2004 at 09:07

Friday, Sep 24, 2004 at 09:07
Hi Vince, thanks for the reply. Going via White cliffs is a option as well.
The Bore track sounds like a good idea. What sort of condition was the track in when you went that way. I have a very nervous wife when it comes to dirt roads.
Thanks
Will
FollowupID: 337256

Follow Up By: Vince NSW - Friday, Sep 24, 2004 at 13:04

Friday, Sep 24, 2004 at 13:04
Will, this is a round about way of answering you question, But have a look at post 16526, where I have said the the bore track is great. Have a look
Vince
FollowupID: 337300

Reply By: duncs - Thursday, Sep 23, 2004 at 21:30

Thursday, Sep 23, 2004 at 21:30
Will

Did that run a couple of years ago.

Left Sydney and made Bourke comfortably in the day. Recommend Kidmans Camp Caravan Park in Bourke. It's on the Charleville Rd.

Left Bourke about 9am had morning tea (a little late) in Wanaaring. It then took about 6 hours to get to Tib. The Booloo Overflow had overflowed and it was pretty wet and slippery. Spent the night at Fort Grey was very nice. Had a relaxed start the next morning before moving on. Should easily make Innamincka from there in the day. The Bore Track is good very pretty and from what people in Broken Hill say ( I now live in the Hill) it is about three hours quicker than going via Merty Merty. I don't know for sure as I have not yet been that way to Innamincka. Came back from Innamincka via Bore track last Oct, had a good long stop in Tib and another stop further south and made it to Broken Hill in the day. It was dark when we got home.

I am planning a short run out that way (Wanaaring - Tib) in a couple of weeks and again, from talking to station owners out near Wanaaring it should take about 2.5 hours from Wanaaring to Tib under normal conditions.

I'll put something up here to let you know what it is like when I get back.

Hope You have a good trip
Duncs.
AnswerID: 77617

Follow Up By: Will - Friday, Sep 24, 2004 at 09:22

Friday, Sep 24, 2004 at 09:22
Hi duncs, thanks for the info. I will check out Kidmans Camp Caravan Park. The Bore track seems the way to go. The $10.00 fee looks worthwile if it is quicker and a "prettier" way.
I would be interested in your comments when you get back from out that way.
Thanks
Will
byersfam@iprimus com au
FollowupID: 337258

Sponsored Links